Replacment of factory guages - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 12:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Replacment of factory guages

I have an 83 Silverado and would like to replace the factory guages with aftermarket ones. Has anyone replaced their guages with aftermarket ones. I want to use the factory trim pieces and make it as cost effective as possible. Basically replace the guages and make it look stock. A couple of them dont work and the lighting is so dim that it is hard to see them at night. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 12:44 AM

Re: Replacment of factory guages

<font color="green"> Yes, I have done it. If you do a search you'll probably find some info, I will try to search for the info as well. I've posted quite a bit about them before, so I don't really want to do all the typing again... Let me see what I can find. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There are pics of them in my webshots albums in the meantime.</font color>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 01:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I replaced the gauges on my 2000 silverado. When I was looking for them I seen alot of companies have replacements for older vehicles too. Check out JCWhitney or even the Pepboys site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 07:02 AM
ratlover

I stole shaggy's idea and did gauges just like him.....was easy and turned out pretty good. I used auto meter stuff but I used the factory speedo/fule btw.....around 100$ for everything I think......I also wired my dash gauges on a switch so I can see my gauges at night and not have my headlights on. Easy stuff if you got a dremel
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

www.ChevyDuty.com They've got a digital dash kit. Replaces all guages with digital ones, LED, very sweet if you got the $$$. Or you you can just replace them with Genuine GM Replacement Parts. They still have all of the guages for our trucks (73-87) I THINK, don't quote me on this, but I think they have all of them except for the Tach or Clock. (And if they do have them they're an arm $ a leg) I've replaced my Oil Preasure guage with GM parts, I've seen the fuel, and I'm on my third Speedometer. (Odomoeter quits)

Otherwise, www.lmctruck.com has quite a few of the guages, but I'm not so sure they're OEM equipment.

It's easy to remove the front bezel, just remember the peice below the steering column. Then the clear plastic lens, then you can one by one remove the guages and replqace the bulbs or whatever you need to do. I take mine apart about once a year to clean back there, get the dust off the back of the lens. I've actually went deeper and had to replace the printed circuit that's behind the big molded cradle that holds all the guages and stuff. It's easier if your truck is a manual, then there's no shift lever to screw with, and no gear shift indicator. That little thing is a PITA if you mess it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode