Need help with drive train noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need help with drive train noise

Hi.. I recently purchased my first truck,I got tired of playing winter hockey puck in my Firebird, and I have a noise that I can not figure out... I have an 83 silverado with a 350,turbo 400, 208 transfer(I think) and 10 bolt diffs. The friend I got it from said before he bought it, it was lifted and had oversize tires and the orginal owner returned it to stock before he sold it. Anyway, before I bought it my friend had problems with chucking out the u-joints at the rear end. He finally replaced the drive shaft and tightened the pinion nut, it was a little loose. It has not lost any more u-joints and it does work fine. But there is a noise, more like a clunk when you put it in reverse. Also when you stop at a stop sign or a red light and then give it some gas to go there is also a clunk. If you let your foot off of the brake a let it roll a little before you give it some gas, there is no noise. It seems like the drive train is taking up slack somewhere. But I do not know if it is the rearend, transmission or transfer case. I have read somewhere that a transfer case could cause that noise. Basically I do not know where to go from here. Sorry that this is a little long, but I wanted to give you guys all of the info I have on the problem. Thank you, your help will greately be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 11:16 PM

Re: Need help with drive train noise

The clunk when you put it in reverse is an infamous 700R4 thing. As for the going foward I am pretty sure mine does that too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't call it strictly a 700R4 thing (I know you didn't, I'm not saying that) I can think of three 14-Bolts that do it. One Full-Floater, two Semi-Floaters. FF in an 86 2wd with a TH400. One Semi-Floater is in my rig, the other is in my cousins 97 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton Z71, 6 lug. It's stock. So that's a 4L60-E, an sm465, and a TH400, I think it's the rearend. If I put min in gear and park it, I can roll the truck back and forth, without the pinion/u-joint/driveline turning. Same with the 86 with the FF. There's just a little play in the diff, on all three. I've never had a 700r4, so I'm not saying that that isn't it, but my experience has been with the play in the rearend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would put my money in the rearend. In my dad's 90 cheyenne it made the same noise. In my 2000 silverado i had the same noise luckily it was under warranty. There is a lot of play back there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 12:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So from what you guys are saying, it is normal wear and tear, or did I misunderstand you and is it something that needs to be fixed. The truck only has 84,000 miles on it. It was a show truck 2 owners ago and it has been not been thrashed on. I only use it for transportation on road, but I would like to get a limited slip for it sometime it the spring or next summer. I am changing all of the fluids this weekend and installing new lockouts, I can pull the diff cover off then. Thanks for all of the help
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It will make it till next summer. It could possibly normal wear and tear. Or it could be that the rearend is about to give out. If the truck has been hotrodded alot or anything causing alot of sudden stress on the rearend it will cause it to go alot quicker. Someone else might have another idea though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 04:12 PM
87sm465np208

my ol' chevy 10 bolt gov-loc rear end was like that, then it locked and then i blew it (cracked in in half) that sucked, its still broke, i broke it saturday, still lookin for a rear end, i have axles for a 12 bolt i just need a houseing with 3.08:1 gears, gotta find one, i wanna get it going by the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode