Bushing questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 08:20 AM
76chevy350

Bushing questions

I keep seeing bushing kits in summit and all the other catalogs that I look through, and what I want to know is what do they really do for you? I know that they all say that they improve handling, but is it that noticable? What type of bushings are best, plain rubber, poly, the graphite-impregnated stuff . . . I'm just trying to figure out what my next purchase is going to be for the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:42 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Bushing questions

Okay, I'm not an expert, but the trend I've seen is the poly stuff is good for body mounts, engine and tranny mounts, etc. For suspension on an offroad truck, rubber is better since it has more give and if you tear it up, it's cheap to replace. Greaseable bolts help a lot with either type of bushing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:09 PM

I have energy suspension bushings on my k10 and they did make a drastic difference in the way the truck handled. Alot less body roll and a much firmer feel but not a harsh ride. I only installed them on the front end(springs,swaybar)since that was the only bushings that were giving me problems, but I have the rest of the masterkit waiting to be installed. I have also used the an energy suspension tranny mount on my wagoneer and am very pleased with the results i got from it. They hold up alot better than rubber bushings if your vehicle leaks oil or fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I've ran plain-jane GM OE rubber and polyurethane. I prefer OEM rubber body mounts so it doesn't beat the tar out of my butt and keeps small vibrations from making it to the cab. For bushings I like the stiff ones like the polyurethane ones. It gets rid of a lot of slop.

There is a world of difference between old beat up dried out OE body mounts and brand spanking new ones. If yours are cracked or rusty chances are even the polyurethane ones will give you a better ride.

I'm supposed to have some Energy Suspension leaf spring bushings for the front and rear of my truck in the mail. They're worth their money, especially if you can get a deal on them.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 01:03 PM
76chevy350

So how difficult is installing a complete kit? This is assuming that I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but not a master mechanic by far.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 01:20 PM

Putting on the spring bushings involves unbolting the springs,shocks, etc and removing the old bushings. Getting the old bushings out can be a PITA. I found that putting the new bushings in the freezer before installing them makes them go on easier. The swaybar is very simple. The cab mounts i haven't changed yet but i'm sure they won't be too bad except for the bolts. Just make sure you use plenty of penetrating lube such as PB blaster on all the bolts since they tend to be stubborn and rusted. I replaced most of the bolts on the fronts supension when i did the bushings b/c the old bolts were in such poor shape. Its just as involved as installing a lift kit, but i did mine without have alot of experience at doing this sort of thing. Just be prepared to cuss and yell [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Having more than one set of jack stands and more than one jack makes the job alot easier too. I only had one bottle jack and one set of jack stands at the time [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode