Original Mid-Late 50s NAPCO 4x4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Original Mid-Late 50s NAPCO 4x4

Hey, what would the "bitchin ride" factor be on an original Chev/GMC Napco 4x4 truck. i haven't looked under the front, but I just recently realized that ther may be one sitting in the weeds that I've driven past for the past 3-4 years.

I haven't looked under it, but I'm pretty sure it's a Napco 4x4 just from the stance, big 17.5 or steel wheels, with those old 8.00x17.5 pizza cutter tires on it. It's sits really high for that era of pickup, like the rest of the Napco's did that I've been looking at on the net. (Kinda like this one: http://www.napco4x4.org/hans.htm )

I just wanted someone elses opinion on how cool it would be. I've been digging around looking at http://www.napco4x4.org Trying to learn a bit more about them. Apparently Dana absorbed Napco ("Northwestern Auto Parts Company" of Minneapolis, MN) in 1976. I guess in the beginning Napco used Dodge axles from the WWII Dodge 4x4s, as a platform to make their own. Does anyone know the specs for a Napco front axle? Or what the t-case was? Any input on this will be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 926593-Mick11.jpg (43.0 KB, 82 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Original Mid-Late 50s NAPCO 4x4

Looks like these three, only the one I'm looking at isn't restored....obviously...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 926596-schappach1.jpg (30.1 KB, 81 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Third Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 926599-sincusky3.jpg (16.8 KB, 65 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 06:22 PM

That would be far behind kewl! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Somewhere in the coolness neighborhood of having a different 4by for everyday/situation you enjoy! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 09:44 PM

I have to say that those style trucks are my absolute favorite so I give a big thumbs up for coolness factor. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Those are some really nice pics...though the truck I would want is a 59 Chevy Apache with the Napco 4wd conversion. I say if you have the chance go for it...I only see a truck like that once in a blue moon...much less a 4wd! Sorry, don't know any of the axle/transfer case specs but damn, that made my day seeing those pics. A very nice restoration project indeed. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 10:46 PM
sayl4u

My first truck was a first series 55 chevy NAPCO powr-pac 3/4 ton,I still have most of the running gear but I dont recall all of the specifics but ill look into it sometime!!I think they would be cool with a 6.5 turbo diesel and 38s..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 04:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd hoped that a Napco was still deemed a worthy 4x4. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Well, I ran the idea by my dad and printed off some pictures of those pretty restored ones, we'll see what this leads to. I'd consider going and getting it myself, but there's a few small factors like: I need tires for my Tahoe, I owe my dad a small fortune [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] (for my truck, and the repairs that he's covered while I didn't have a job) So, yeah, I don't really have any onney to go get it myself. But he's really fond of classic GM trucks, and almost equally fond of a nice 4x4, we I guess I'll have to wait and see.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I'm just dredging up my old post for an update.

It's actually a 60-66, my dad and I drove up closer to it when we went out to my uncles to pick up the 'vette. There were enough weeds around it that from the road at 50mph looking at the tailgate and sides (has stuff leaning up against it, with a canopy...) I mistook it for a 55-59 w/napco converison. It IS a 4x4 though, I did spot that correctly. Still had the hubcaps on, and I couldn't see the badges so I don't know if it was a 10 or 20. [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]

I still want the damn thing...no $$$ though [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

Anyway, onto the main point for this post... I've just requested catalogs from LMC & Chevy-Duty, I'll see what they have for parts, but does anyone know of any sites for restoring, or outlined specs on 60-66s? I'm still digging, but if anyone's got something that comes to mind right away, post it. Thank you. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 11:17 PM

I think it would be really cool to have one of those Napco's. There is a 58 2 door suburban down the road from where I live, and it is all original, rusty but there. The tell tail signs of an original NAPCO, 6 leaves in the front, 7 in the rear, NAPCO stamped on the front axle tube, divorced case, Dana 20 I think, and something about the gas tank, but can't remember. All the cross members are riveted, not bolted to the frame, as alot of people converted them over. I can get the Sub for 700-800, maybe less. I'm pondering getting it, to hang on to it, for a lime term future project.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 12:57 AM

How about something like this...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode