85 Suburban vibration? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

85 Suburban vibration?

Hi guys. I own a 85 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton two wheel drive. It has the 400 transmission and a 454 motor. It has a oscilating vibration at about 67 m.p.h. on up. I feel it in the floor and in the seat. I can run it up to 70 m.p.h. and take it out of gear and it stops. When stopped I can put the truck in park and get the r.p.m.'s up to where they were at 70 m.p.h. and there is no vibration. I can put the truck in 1st or 2nd and get the r.p.m.'s up to where they were at 70 m.p.h. and there is no vibration. I have put new U-joints on it and it still has the vibration. I have looked at the drive shaft for a thrown weight and did not see anything. I bought the truck like this thinking it was the U-joints so I don't know how long it has had the vibration. Man if you could help me out here Id be very thankful!! Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:51 PM

Re: 85 Suburban vibration?

I would start by lifting the rear of the sub put in gear and whatch sto see if the drive line has any hop in it if it does there is the prob
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine does the same thing and it didn't start till after I replaced the 700R4/208 with the TH400/241. My dad's 2wd truck with a th400 did it too and my g/f's folks 1/2 ton sub with a 700 does it too.
Edit: same rear driveline too for both combos too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 12:01 PM

My 88 Wagoneer had some slight vibration and some noise coming from the tranny/driveline. The noises and vibrations went away after i replaced the worn tranny mounts with new Energy Suspension mounts.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 09:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been trying to pay more attention to it and listen a little closer and it appears that the oscilating vibration quickens under accelleration. When Im ascending an incline such as an overpass the r.p.m.'s pick up to maintain a speed of 73 m.p.h.. When the r.p.m.'s pick up the vibration quickens. Once I reach the crest of the incline the r.p.m.'s return to where they were and the vibration returns or slows to where it was. What do you guys think?
Thanks, Mark
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:42 PM

1 piece drive shaft or two pice driveshaft???

Look into improper balancing off all things which rotate according to vehicle speed not RPM - i.e. bent rims, bad tires, driveshafts, bent axles, etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

on my vibe it only started after putting the tranny, t-case and crossmember in otherwise it is the same 1 piece driveline, rims, tres, everything. It is possible in my case that tranny mounts being bad since I did use the crossmemeber/ mounts that I got form the junkyard with the tranny combo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode