I picked up a 77 3/4 4x4 ... beaten pretty bad - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I picked up a 77 3/4 4x4 ... beaten pretty bad

However, I noticed some interesting things about it which is why I swiped it when I could.
Dana 44 rear axle and an NP205 (I think)
The front axle looks like it is a 10bolt...lots of weeds in the way didn't really get a good look at it. However it is a circular shape and there were 5 bolts on the bottom part that I could see.
No idea about the gears, obviously I am going to do both axles...still an up-grade from my 3.08 corporate 10's [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Anyway, there is a TH350 tranny infront of the NP205.
There is no tag on the transfer case, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to identify it from appearance?
Also what axle combos came? according to the card on the glovebox it is a heavy duty option 3/4 ton. Any help would be great thanks.
I am just really happy that I finally get to have better gears and axles [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] just need to find the time to put them in.
btw, if any of this message makes no sense what so ever, I am working on 3 hours sleep...and it's been a long day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:10 PM

Re: I picked up a 77 3/4 4x4 ... beaten pretty bad

77 3/4T should be

14FF rear
D44 front (possibly a 10 bolt, but more likely a D44)
3.73 or 4.10 gears likely (I have a heavvy duty 78 3/4T with 3.73's)

Could be a TH350 with a NP205.

To ID the NP205 look for 3 bolts holding a cover onto the back side of the intermediate shaft, or do a google search on NP205 and you'll find lots of pics.

Unless there is something weird about that ride, it should have a pretty stout drivetrain.

Hope that helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

then it has to be a NP205, because it does have the intermediate shaft.
Anyway, the rear axle has all the right identifications for a Dana.
Do the brakes on these axles require larger diameter rims? ie greater than 15"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 12:42 PM

The problem will be with the 3/4T brakes on the front axle. You will either need to grind the caliper, or get some different wheels.

On the rear diff (and the front I guess) look for a number stamped on one of the webs on either side of the pumpkin. If it looks like a dana axle you might have a D60 rear.. Is it full floating??
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

because it was full floating is what made me try to get the truck in the first place [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I didn't check for exact markings, I know it does have the stamps in the right places to be a DANA [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
not sure about the front axle...it does have the correct pattern for the 44 now that i looked up the bolt pattern, I will have to check the stamping on it though to be sure.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 11:54 PM

Yeah, you can never be sure which front axle you'll get with those late 70's 3/4T's.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:17 AM
Mud in my Veins

GM never put the full floating D60's under the 73 and up trucks. I'd bet money that's a 14FF there.

Sounds like a D44 up front.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dunno that I would go with what came with the trucks to determine what is in this thing...because supposedly according to VIN# and tags inside it has a 350 and a standard transmission, instead it has a TH350 tranny and a straight 6 hehe. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode