NV4500 Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 04:49 PM
Kendog454

NV4500 Swap

Has anyone ever done this before? What is involved? Is it a direct bolt in to replace the SM465? I want to do this swap when I do my motor. Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Kendog454

Re: NV4500 Swap

anyone?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:34 AM
Mud in my Veins

I know it isn't a direct bolt on. Beyond that, sorry.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:56 PM

I have been considering this swap for a while. Here's what i have gathered in my searches.

1. The 465 has a 10 spline output shaft while the NV4500 has a 32 spline output
2. I believe that if you find a NP205 with short 32 spline female input coupler it will mate with the NV4500.
3. Advance Adapters should provide an adapter to mount the transfer case to the tranny (AA New Venture)
4. This tranny came out in '93 and i think that the bell housings are the same as older SBC bell housing patterns.
5. There is something with the output shaft of the NV4500 where it needs to be cut down to a shorter length, but I'm not sure that i remember all of it.

And here are some specs on the NV4500:
Make: New Venture Gear
Length: 18.9"
Weight: 195 lbs.
Case: Cast Iron
Top Cover: Aluminum
PTO Ports: Both Sides
Gearing: 6.34, 3.44, 1.71, 1, .73, R 6.34 or,
5.61, 6.04, 1.67, 1, .73, R 5.61
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 07:37 AM
Kendog454

How is the shift handle of a 465 removed?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 12:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You will need a NV4500 out of a Chevy. They used a hydraulic clutch bellhousing. Advance Adapters make a munual clutch bellhousing, I think. You will need a trans to t-case adapter. Will have to change the input shaft on the NP205. Your crossmember will probably have to be moved. Driveshafts will probably have to be change, I am not sure of the length difference between the 465 and the 4500. I am not sure if the 4500 uses that same 10 spline clutch. The shifter won't come out in the same place in the floor. 4500's are not flawless some have been known to break, there is a retainer nut that seems to come lose on them and causes some major problems. All adds up to lots of $$$$$.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

im looking for an 205 to mate to my nv4500 too and i had one... made a masteke of not taking it on the spot. hard to find, had some pics of what kind you need but lost them, and advanced adapters doesn't make adapters for an older version np205 (figure 8 bolt pattern on the t case housing) to mate to nv4500 which uses a round 6 bolt pattern (simular to 700? but bigger and rotated a tad). the 205 that would work for you came in 87-91 crew cab 1 ton with an auto tranny. not sure if its supposed to have the short or long input shaft, but short should work with some trimming on the tranny end to allow for the shift "rod" to fit and move. all this info is gathered from people on the net, forums like this one, so its accuracy depands on how accurate the people that gave it to me were, and it all seems accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode