Custom Hummer wheels - group purchase - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Custom Hummer wheels - group purchase

<font color="green">I posted this in the General forum, but haven't gotten any reply. Willis and I are both going to get a set of these wheels, if we can find 2 more people that want a set then we'll get a discount. I thought they were damn cool, but nobody else seems to want any... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Just putting it here to see if there is anyone else interested.

OK, here's the deal. Daniel at USA6x6 sells Hummer wheels with the backspacing changed to anything that you want. Normally they run $165, if we can get 4 people that want a set each, he'll do them for $150 each. Not a huge discount, but $60 saved on a set of 4 ain't too bad. That's $600 for a set of full custom Hummer wheels. Not bad! The details on the wheels are -

8 bolt Hummer wheels

ANY backspacing you want

ANY lug pattern you want

Sandblasted and painted, your choice of color

All new seals

Magnesium beadlocks (should work fine for 38 and larger tires, smaller than that the runflat part may need to be cut off witha bandsaw in order to get good "squish" when aired down.) Rubber ones may be available for an extra charge, I'm finding out about that.

12 bolt wheels available for $35 more

Price <font color="red">INCLUDES SHIPPING </font color>to anywhere in the lower 48.

Right now we only NEED 2 more people, myself and Willyswanter are 99% sure that we're going to get these. If you are interested please post up, if you have the money and want to do this, please PM me so I can keep an accurate accounting of who wants in so I can give Daniel the names.

</font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Re: Custom Hummer wheels - group purchase

<font color="green"> What, nobody else is interested? How can you possibly ask for a cooler wheel than these? [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] We need one more person and we're good to go. BTW, the 8 bolt ones are DOT approved for use on the street.

These are the 12 bolt ones, the 8 bolts look pretty much the same.
</font color>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:16 AM
Mud in my Veins

are these hard to balance like i hear about most beadlocks? i agree they are neato wheels but i've already got some wheels [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] how does the beadlock part work and does it hold both sidewalls to the wheel or just the outer? i've never been able to figure out how beadlocks work from the pics i've seen, maybe you can enlighten me?

and tell JPP to quit wasting his money on funky wheels and to go buy a front shaft for "Wishful Thinking" so he can bring that $20K front axle to life and put gumbo mud all over the hood!

And if you're wondering why I've dubbed it "Wishful Thinking"..... welll, it's long and white, you put the puzzle together [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I had $600 I mightbe interested but I need to finish the steering setup on the truck first. I plan on 15" wheels too but for the right prices I would change my mind but gotta have the cash to buy stuff, ohh drat that darn economy [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:32 AM

Oh well damn you figured out my whole reason for the truck....

Anyway, have you read my like last 15 responses to people asking me why I haven't bought a front driveshaft??? Ok, here I go again...

I am getting custom fronts and rears done at the same time because it's cheaper that way. But I can't get a rear till I do my 4 link rear, which I am waiting on parts for. Yes they are ordered, but some are custom built so there taking a bit. Then, I can't go 4 wheelin anyway because I have 5.13's in the front and 4.10's in the rear, that don't work to well boy! Drivetrain Direct seems to still be on the hunt for my 5.13 ring and pinion, I have the detroit, empty carrier, and install kit laying on my bedroom floor. So basically I'm waiting on slow people...

[img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

<font color="green"> Probably they are pretty hard to balance, but I'm going to use a variation of the golf ball trick on mine. I hear that golf balls work really well, and my variation should be even better.

Most beadlocks hold only the outer bead, the one that blows 99% of the time. The cool thing about the Hummer wheels is that they lock both beads on, since they use a pretty different method of clamping the beads down. Here is a pic of a normal beadlock, pretty self explanatory -

the Hummer wheels are a bit different. They use 3 parts, the main wheel section, the outer lock, and the beadlock itself. A pic of the middle section and the outer lock -

And then there is the beadlock, which comes in a few different versions, but the magnesium is the most common. A pic of just beadlocks -

So, the way it works is, the beadlock is two peices that bolt together, it goes into the tire, then the two halves are bolted together -

Then the middle section is slid up from the backside of the tire, through the beadlock, and the outer ring bolts on to it.

So, the inner bead is locked between the rim and the beadlock, and the outer bead is locked between the beadlock and the outer ring. Pretty cool, eh? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The finished product -

</font color>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:21 PM
Mud in my Veins

Hey, that's a neat trick! What's the big o-ring gasket for? It appears that the "turbine" decides the effective wheel width, but the wheel part itself determines backspacing, is this correct? $150 for a magical yellow wheel that turns a bald Goodyear into a nice TSL seems like a good deal to me! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

<font color="green"> All of the wheels are the same size, I'd have to assume that the o-ring is to seal the outer ring to the main wheel. Never seen one in person, this is just info I've gotten from looknig into these things. Magical yeallow wheel... If they turned bald goodyears into TSLs I'd have a bunch of em! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font color>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:40 PM

Hey, so what do you mean by the golf ball trick?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

<font color="green"> The guys on PBB run about 5-6 golf balls in a tire that's 38-40" and say it works like a charm to keep the tires running smooth at highway speeds, up to 75 mph and even beyond, in some cases.</font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode