Failed Emissions, need help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Failed Emissions, need help

I went o get emisions tested and failed by 12 hundreths on the hydro carbons reading. I passed the CO2 ratings easily but read 1.72 not 1.60 or under on the hydrocarbons and failed. I guess that means its running a little rich so what should I do to my 350 TBI to pass, I changed my air filter will change the oil and put in some new platinum plugs in favor of the old coppers. is there any thing else I should do to get it to pass. I want to pass now so that I can pull off all my emisions equipment and put on my headers and dual exhaust. A friend told me something about disconnecting the pcv valve but I don't know about this. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 06:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Failed Emissions, need help

err.. when you get it figured out let me know, im on the same bus to crapville. so far i replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, o2, and egr (have k&n for air filter, it was time for a tune up anyhow) i was told that a vacum leak causes a just failed situation in carbohydrates? but i can't find mine. so share the info once you get it figured out, and ill do the same if im first.
in any case, ive been told numerously that platnum plugs don't work all that good in a truck motor, stick with some kind of truck plugs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 06:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

Head to someplace like Autozone and see if they have that additive that is suppose to help with that. They say to try it if you marginal, which you are.

Laters, Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:49 PM
87sm465np208

well, a guy at autozone said that if you fail emssions like that you can replace your O2 sensor and that might bump you down 40 points on the emissions thing so you pass, just a thought, this guy that i know at autzone knows what he is talking about too. and i think if you dissconnect your pcv valve your engine wont run because it will try to suck pcv gasses and it will screw up, maybe if you plug it up, i dont know, i know some people will tell you to run it for 20 minutes on the highway to clean out the catilitic converter, i wish you the best of luck, tell us how it works out. good luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 03:25 PM
87sm465np208

what kinda truck and what motor? [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 06:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its an 88 K5 with the 350 TBI. So whats this about not using platinum plugs? I figured they would make a better spark, but why would they be bad for my engine? Also 87sm465np208 where are yo at in Illinois, I see that you have no places to wheel, I'm in the south suburbs of Chicago and have a couple places to go. Either way though I figure if I don't pass this time I'll show the guy my reciept for the plugs and get a waiver.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:30 PM
87sm465np208

yea, i live by napervillie, my stupid emmissions thing is due next year in 2003, july [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img], thats kinda a bummer, i wish you the best of luck with the emissions situation, its probly somthin stupid thats doing that. yea we dont have a good place to wheel, where do you wheel? id sure like to know, because im the only one out of 2 that have trucks that take them wheel'n.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:33 PM
BigBlueZ71

You think you have it bad.........here in Houston I have to put my truck up on a Dyno and they test first at 15mph, then at 25mph to see what all she spits out
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I have the same situation here. Only a couple people actually wheel their trucks. Anyone with a 4x4 is to scared to scrath there paint, but there are a couple who are willing. There are some places to wheel mostly in the mokena area, of course these are not designated offroad vehicle areas, but they aren't forest or nature preserves, and dirt bikes and fourwheelers commonly use them. For the most part these places are just areas with some mud holes and embankments and what not, nothing to get stuck in unless you try, but there have been several rollovers even on these mild trails.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 05:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oh yeah I forgot to say I went to the emissions place today with my PCV valve disconnected I thought it would make a difference but it actually barely changed so once again I failed. so I guess I'm just going to go to a garage I know of to have them lean it out so I can pass and then put it back the way it should be so I can pass all for the price of 25 dollars so that ought to work. I've heard something about those dyno rollers being bad on over sized aggresive tires and I now believe it. When the guy got it up to 57 and then let off it started hopping and whatnot. Even the guy chocking the wheels said that the 6in wheel chocks won't make a difference. so hopefully I don't have any more problems on my next test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode