t-case removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 07:19 PM
tool

t-case removal

so here it is.. I need to remove my np208 transfer case out of my 86 chevy blazer. I have never done anything like this before. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, however I'm far from being a pro. Plus things like transfer case,and drivetrain removal are completely foreign to me! I'm removing it to get it rebuilt. Any tips? Is this easy? Or should I pay the extra to have it installed and uninstalled? Money is sorta tight, so If I could manage this, that would be terrific [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 07:44 PM

Re: t-case removal

I dunno if there's anything special about the 208 but I would imagine the job would go something like this:
-remove d-shafts
-disconnect shift linkages as necassary
-support with device
-unbolt from transmission adapter
-pull the case towards the rear of the truck to clear the t-case input shaft (if your careful you might be able to save the oil seal in the adapter, but you're better off replacing it anyways.
-lower the case and rebuild

Should not be a problem at all to do. Not something you want to pay a shop to do; do it yourself and you might save enough to pay for most of the rebuild.

Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 08:20 PM

also 2 bolts on the crossmember
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:04 PM
87sm465np208

draining the t-case will reduce some weight, and drey you left out the part about removeing the 4 skid plate bolts and nuts.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:23 PM

you dont HAVE to take them out, might actaully be easier not too...i wouldnt know though
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 07:10 AM
Kendog454

If you remove the engine and tranny does the tcase have to come out or can you leave it in there?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:23 AM
ratlover

Ken You should support the transfer case but it can stay in.

I would recomend draining the fluid to keep from wearing it and its got to drain anyway right?

Drop the driveshafts(the front will spin if left in N so it might be a PITA)

Disconect the linkage and the spedo cable and the indicator lights

4 bolts holding the transfercase to the trany

I droped mine with the crossmember attached(4 bolts on the frame) You will need to slide the case back away from the trany.

I made a plate for my floor jack that makes trany/transfercase removal/install very easy. Its just a 12x12 peice of plate steel with a post in the bottom. the cup that goes in a floor jack to hold the rear end of a car gets removed and it goes in its place. I even welded tie down loops so I can strap down what ever. You can buy one outa jegs....its called a trany adapter or somethin like that.

Support the tranny!!! Put a jackstand or something so it supports the back of the trany or your motor/trany will lean back and put a lot of stress on the motor mounts

Very easy stuff though [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are going to rebuild it yourself leave the T-case right in the truck. If you have to take it out what the other guys said and have someone strong for help [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 04:41 PM
tool

Well that doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for the tips. Is it difficult to rebuild these things? Or should I leave that to someone who knows what they are doing? I think I'm capable of removing the thing, but rebuilding is another question..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode