O/T help with speech assignment - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

O/T help with speech assignment

In Speech class we are doing speechs about topics, that we know a little bit about, but are supposed to research some on. I have Driving in Addverse conditions.
I know in mud you want alot of wheelspin, and in snow you dont want any spin.
could you guys give me some more specific expertise, mud, snow,ice,sand, etc. it has to be 3 1/3 to 4 min, thanx, all help will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 08:53 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: O/T help with speech assignment

In mud, you just want to keep the tread clean. Usually a constant speed is best, not feathering the stupid pedal.

Snow, you want instataneous bonds to happen. So therefore you don't want any wheelspin and you want to find the speed at which you can have the strongest bond. What you're doing is melting the snow, compressing it, letting it harden, and then fall back out of the tire. This happens real quick like. And you don't want to be braking and turning at the same time.

Ice, just be fluid. It's best to grab a taller gear that way you're less likely to have a tire start spinning. You also want to avoid direction changes while on ice. If you can, keep one pair of tires on the snow at a time.

Sand is an interesting character. You either want to "float" on it or displace a lot of it. Floating is best done with a wide footprint and a cup under the tire. In other words, deflate your tire until on asphalt it would be ruined. Even a wide tire, 13.50 or 14.50 will bury itself if overinflated due to the fact that it will push the sand out to the sides instead of trapping it underneath. A 10.50 tire will float a lot better at 12lbs than a 12.50 tire at 30lbs. Displacing sand is just that. You move as much as possible. Basically you're using the sand to thrust you forward and on top of the sand ahead of you. It's the main reason a sandrail with 80% of its weight on its back tires can dump the clutch with a pair of Taller Haulers (a model of huge paddles) at 3psi and not even drop 2" but a sandrail on Mickey Thompson Bajas would bury itself. There's nothing more embarassing than digging out your sandrail after doing such a thing. Trust me, I should know.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 07:49 AM
ratlover

Remember that you must drive totally different in a FWD as aposed to a 4wd or a RWD. I was talking to a friend and a female friend over heard us and "tryed" out power sliding in her FWD car in snow. it was very bad especially since I was in the car with her and not ecpecting her to do it. Then she started saying how she was just doing what I said and I said I was talking about an entirly difernt car. So she had to stop blaming me.

Remember to go over what to do if all goes wrong and you need to do to save yourself. Like if you are breaking while turning and lock up your tires you will go straight. Let of the f ing brake. If you start to have the ass come around on you dont instantly lift all the way and dont hit the f ing brakes, if you have a fwd car hammer the gas if its rwd work the throttle or you will fishtail when it bites traction. Emphisize in a limited traction situation, ice snow, rain gravel, clean road but lots of salt on it from the winter to be "fluid" as wrath says. Nice controlled movements, dont do anything fast, turning breaking, lifting the trottle. "squeeze the brak" roll in and out of the throttle. smooth shifts. Learn to downshift if you have a manual. It cracks me up to see how some people downshift, put it into the lower gear and dump the clutch is not how you do it. Drive like this every day(being more consiensious durring incliment weather) and it will

1 become second nature
2 if you are driving along and get into a limited traction situation without you knowing it wont supprise you.

Also encourage lots of playing in the snow and such in a controlled manner like in empty parking lots cuz practice makes perfect [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

the whole downshift thing was news to me last winter with the S-10 [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] all of a sudden my tires lost it, and i swung around, thank god this was on a street in town with 4 feet of snow banks on teh sides, also i was only going 15, but i was slowing for a stop, and dropped it into 1st [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode