Removable top unremovable - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 07:58 PM
joeybcdt

Removable top unremovable

I'm starting to think fiberglass can be welded to steel.

I can't get the top off of my "new" '83 Jimmy. I even tried prying it off with a high-lift but quit when I started hearing too much sqeaking and cracking.

I removed 6 long bolts and 10 short ones. What have I missed?

The truck was painted with the top on. I think I've broken the paint seal with a piece of wood.

Any help guys?

Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 09:13 PM
87sm465np208

Re: Removable top unremovable

that is a S.O.B., we havent tryed to take my friends top off his 91 k-5, it has like alot of tamper resistant torx screws holding it on. on your blazer top you might not be suporting it anough, grab a bunch of buddies to help lift that thing off, ive heard they are heavy. i might also think it would be the gasket material (silycone or a formed gasket that has been on ther for so long that it has created such a strong bond that it is like glued to it, what i would do is take a piece of slim metal, like a slim jim, run it all on the bottom (with a buddy on the inside of the blazer and you on the outside) and slide it in between the top and the bed of the blazer, and do the same for the spot were it meets the cab, that might "break" the seal and you would be able to get it off. good luck man, tell me how it works out. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 12:25 AM
Can't Get Enough

Another thing to use instead of a steel strip would b a metal single strand guitar or piano string. Friend said he used this method to get windshields out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 01:51 AM
87sm465np208

hey i like that guitar string idea, id say that is a sure fire way to break that thing loose.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 07:50 AM
joeybcdt

The string idea sounds good to me. If I screw up the rubber are replacements still available?

Joey
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 08:06 AM

you could always get new rubber, stripping or silicone or whatever, at the dealership or an auto store. and if ya dont have guitar strings lyin around like me use fishing line high tensile strength though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 02:01 PM

Please dont try any of those things...take off the rear interior panels, by the speakers enough to pull them out a little so you can fit your hands back there. There are 2 bolts on easch side in the rear corners that go in from the bottom - underneath the bed rails - they are right on the corners and bolt into the corners of the top. the top itself isn't really that heavy. I took it off and put it on with one other person about as big and strong as me...i probably was 5-9 and 130 when i did it...good luck
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 06:10 PM
joeybcdt

And where were you last night when I needed you? Yea...I found the two bolts today. Yep. I still feel pretty stupid.

Anyway.......I got out all the carpet and interior side panels in the back, the seats, console, seatbelts. Next comes the bed-liner.

Joey
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 01:42 PM

Hey its cool. Took me a while to find those bolts myself. I was trying to pry the top off with a crowbar cause someone told me they were caulked on...put a little crack in mine in the process. good thing i gave up on that
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 07:09 AM

What year did they start with the security torx things, because I should be able to get one off of an 87 for nothing or close to it. We have a 79 thats kind of in limbo right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode