Fender trimming ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:55 AM
76chevy350

Fender trimming ?

Has anybody here trimmed their front fenders on a 76? If so, do you have any good tips, like what you did with the blinkers, how much you cut, etc. I've got a 4" lift, but the springs are sagging and my 315's are rubbing sometimes. I can't afford new springs, but I sure as hell don't mind cutting things to make 'em fit. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Fender trimming ?

check out the pics in the "fender trimming to fit 38s" thread here. Here is a pic of my truck with 4" and 315s:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 920916-trimmed.jpg (51.1 KB, 12 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 10:53 AM

I trimmed the fenders on my 78 K5... didn't have to do anything with the blinkers, I just cut the bottom of the front off at the body line and then on the back side I cut from the top of the curve down to the bottom at about a 30 degree angle (total of about 3" off the bottom)... I now have no rubbing with 35's and a 4" lift. I just used a sawzall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:16 AM
76chevy350

That looks pretty damn good. What did you do to clean up the cut edges, just bend and paint 'em?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

on mine I just cut them off in the corners and ground the burs off and put a little touch up paint n it to protect from rust. I didn't bend the lips or anything.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 01:09 PM

Well, my truck took care of it's own trimming today [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. 40" tires + 8" of lift + a full lock left turn at 30mph and a big ass pot hole = CRUNCH!!! Hehe, it was pretty cool, had to be a flap about 10" long by 8" deep of sheet metal peeled up over the tire [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 01:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

did it hurt those cut out flares any or do they hold up pretty well?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:28 PM

Popped a few rivets out of the bottom but that was easily fixed by new ones. The flares themself are just fine [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. Sunday I am going to cut about 12" of inner fender out and rounding it over so it doesn't take any more chunks of lug off. Should gain about 3" of clearance doing this.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

Here is my current trimming. I have a 6" lift and 38X12.50 TSL's on 9.75" widerims. The drawing is how I plan on cutting them in the near future. Hopefully the 42's will fit easily and maybe Those 46" Michelin XML's that 4Wheeler used on its Super Duty.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:16 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I cut off almost 43 inches and it is still longer than yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

It aint longer than mine buddy [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Anyway, yeah, I need to figure something out. I need to cut another inch off my bumper and I already re-shaped the floor boards so there concave instead of convex, but I think I will cut a 12" square out of the floor board and put a piece of flat plate back in it's place to gain about 2" more room for meat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode