Dana 60 front axles (calling all experts) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Dana 60 front axles (calling all experts)

OK, I've been searching through the archive for the last hour and a half. I've found buckets of information but some has been conflicting.

I've got my Dad on a search for a Dana 60 for the front of my truck. Yeah, that's right, I'm contemplating going "thy way of thy 8 lug". It depends on cost. I don't think a complete Dana 60 is worth more than $400, what do you guys think?

First, are the gears for a front Dana 60 the same as the gears for a rear Dana 60? I find it pretty unlikely that I'll find a 3.73-geared Dana 60. Every single one I've ever seen is a 4.11. However, 3.73 geared 14FFs are common (and I've got one). I either want 3.73 or 4.11 gears. 4.56s would blow with my winter tires (235x75r15s).

If I were to stick this under the front of the truck all I'd have to do is bolt it on and use a different univeral joint, right? All the steering will be the same, correct? Will I be able to fit the rotors and calipers in my 15" aluminum wheels (I've read yes and no)?

Calipers is where I get confused. Are they the same as my half ton ones or not? My half ton ones are the same as my 3/4 ton ones off my other truck but I know 1 tons use monster binders.

I'm going to spend some more kwality time searching. I must say, I've found some pretty cool [bleep].

Thanks
-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:22 PM

Re: Dana 60 front axles (calling all experts)

to start I just sold a 60 for $800 and people where telling I was too low!!!!!!!!!! The gears are the same as a 60 rear and I have seen a few 3.73 most however were 4.10s or.56s The capilers are every much different and only one ton s will work. Your wheels will fit if you play with the grinder for a time,. you will have to gring the calipers and mouts . all the rest will bolt up
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 10:41 PM

<font color="green"> If you find a D60 for $400 it's a steal. They go for $1200 all the time. If you get one without 3.73s, I have a set of 3.73s that I just yanked from mine. I'll sell 'em to you cheap, just let me know. </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 03:20 AM
Mud in my Veins

Are chebby D60 fronts not reverse cut, high pinion units? If so, then their gears are not compatible with the straight cut D60 rear axle gears.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:03 AM
Blazer1970

Chevy front 60s are not reverse rotation. Neither are Dodges. That is a Ford only thing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 08:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got my 60 for $400 then just put another $400 worth of bearing in it last weekend and installed it last night. The calapers are much different, they use a slide lock instead of bolts. I have seen in my experience in the junk yard most seem to be 4.10. Mine and Joe's is 4.56 though. I used teh same joint as my 3/4 ton D44 and 1/2 ton 10 bolt fronts unless you get a different sized yoke.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 08:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

wooohooo, go FORD go [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:14 PM

Yes, I am very pleased with my Ford components [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 10:39 PM
Mud in my Veins

Hmmmm..........my Ram uses the same side front drop as Fords and IFS GM's. I also know where a rusty but trusty late 70's F250 is sitting doing very little. Coil spring front axle and leaf sprung rear full floater. Has the camper/towing package and the snow plowing package. Who wants to bet that means dual D60's?[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If the Dodge's axles ever go and/or I have some cash sitting around...................[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]......
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 12:13 AM
Can't Get Enough

Sorry Drew, it will be a High Pinion D44 front and D60 rear. Still a little stronger than what you have for the front, and a lot more in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode