How many inches of lift would you go? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

View Poll Results: Liftyeah!
6" front springs. 3/4 ton rear springs, 14FF axle, and a shackle flip for the rear 5 29.41%
4" front springs. 3/4 ton rear springs, 14FF axle, and a shackle flip for the rear 11 64.71%
6" jerry-rigged spacer between the frame and the spring with longer shackles for the front. 3/4 ton rear springs, 14FF axle, and a shackle flip for the rear 0 0%
4" jerry-rigged spacer between the frame and the spring with longer shackles for the front. 3/4 ton rear springs, 14FF axle, and a shackle flip for the rear 1 5.88%
Other--read comments 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

How many inches of lift would you go?

OK, she needs to go up. I ain't want no more wet floor (even though all I've got is a seat and floor mats now).

What's my current plan? Springs for the front and use HD 3/4 ton stock springs/14FF with a 1/2 ton front hanger (~3.5" longer than a 3/4 or 1 ton) and a shackle flip in the back. What do I want? A truck that's still streetable. I don't want something that isn't going to be fun to drive. With my 33s and no lift she dives a little in the corners but I don't have all that much body roll due to the sway bar. I don't want something that is going to handle like a dumptruck. I figure with my wide rims and 4" of backspacing my truck is around 8" wider than stock. In theory, I should be able to get away with 6" before she starts feeling tippy as long as I've got a sway bar.

I've seen a few trucks with space between the front springs and the frame. They use 4x6" square stock and longer shackles in the back to get this to happen. This seems like it'd be good because you'd keep the stock springs (no Golden Arches) but at the same time might be a hazard.

How many inches would you go? 4" or 6"? Will a pair of 6" front springs really go up 6" or is it going to be 4.5" after she droops? Will 4" springs magically turn in to 3"? I have the "heavy duty" 1/2 ton springs (3 leaves) so it doesn't droop that much. In fact, the butt of my truck droops a little.

The idea is to maybe someday put 35s or 36s on the truck for off-roading only.

If you'd like, I'd like to hear what kind of springs you suggest and where to get them. I really don't know of a better source of information than you guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:16 PM

Re: How many inches of lift would you go?

Well, id just go 4 inch with the shackle flip, 3/4 ton springs will make it ride even mor like a tank than it already probably does. if the back is too low, use a zero rate to level it out. I dont like the idea of spacers and longer shackles though, unless your comfortable hacking up an important part of the suspension . Im just kind of scared of what would happen if one hanger let go at 60 mph, but hey, its just my opinion.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, will 4" get me 36x13.50s without fender trimming? If I go suspension lift, I'm not going body lift.

HD 3/4 ton rear springs won't be too bad. They're out of my 77C20. They'll be a little more stiff but more importantly I'll have a higher payload. When I haul gravel I don't want it to be complaining with 2600lbs in it like my current springs do. I'm more worried about the aftermarket front springs. I want them to be as stiff as my stock ones. They're almost perfect.

Yeah, that's why I said jerry-rigged about the spacers for the front. If done correctly it'd be just as strong if not stronger since it'd be yet another piece tying the frame together. I'd have to use heavier stock for the shackles so it'd take the side load better but I think it'd be alright.

4" lift I'll still probably have to lengthen the front driveshaft. Since I'll be swapping axles and have the pinion pointed up I should be alright for the rear driveshaft. New brakelines.

6" will require lengthened driveshafts and new brakelines.

Due to cost, I only want to do this once. As it is, this is going to be cutting in to my "powertrax lock-right" and "new pushbar and dash" funds.

I run 235x75r15s on stocker wheels in the winter time so it's going to look pretty homosexually-inclined either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 07:26 PM

Well, on my 72 i have 38's with 4 inches and no trimming, but thats with stiff as hell trailmaster springs. And i didnt have to change my shafts, and the pinion ange eis livable. The brake line extentions were easy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 10:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

I vote for 4" www.BDS-Suspension.com springs and a 4" shackle flip in the rear, home done or www.OffRoadDesign.com's. If I wanted another inch or so I'd thrown on a set of ORD's 1" zero rate add a leaves. If I needed another 1" or so I'd do ORD's 1" body lift.

I like BDS, their stuff is flexy and retains it's height very well. Not to mention their stuff is priced very well, the warranty is super fantastically great, and they're a Michigan company.

35's on 15x10's is gonna rub with 4", you'd need 6" to clear. 36's rub with 6" depending on how flexy the springs are. 4" you are definately going to have to cut to fit 36's.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 11:02 PM

I'm with AJM. 4" springs and shackle flip, zero-rates, and a 1" body if you need more.

Sawzall is your friend [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

adding zero rates to the front isn't much better than adding a block in my opinion.

75% of people say 4", but no one said why? Why not 6"?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Where is BDS? Is it the place in Lansing? I've heard about the place in Lansing before but I don't remember what it's called.

I don't want a lot of flex if it means that it's going to have body roll like a 300lb midget. My stock suspension flexes just fine for me--even with a sway bar. I don't want something that's going to feel like it's going to roll over like a pig in slop if I entertain a severe off-camber.

Is there any particular reason everyone is avoiding a 6" lift?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

You've also got different front fenders than me.

Any reason for the "no" to the 6" ones? Are they really stiff or something? It can't be much worse than my HD front springs, quad shocks, and a sway bar.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 06:26 PM

I realize that zero rates are basically a block, and for that matter I don't understand why people just don't make their own and buy a new centering pin..

I recommend 4" cause the springs will still give you a decent ride (not too tippy if you leave the swaybar on), and a 6" will rasie your center of gravity even heigher and it sounds to me like you want something that will handle corners *relatively* decent. I would also rather chop fender than lift more.

Of course this is just my 2 , just trying to help [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I dunno where BDS is but I have never heard a bad thing about their springs. If you are really concerned about how stiff/flexy your springs are going to be, then go talk to a reputable spring shop and see they will custom make you some packs: the price shouldn't be too excessive unless you go thru Alcan or National spring or one of those places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode