ALTERNATOR DIED - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

ALTERNATOR DIED

I need an alternator for the K10 and need to get it tomorrow (Sunday Oct 13th). I would like to get a betterthan stock alternator but doubt any of the local stores that will be open tomorrow sell a high amp alternator and definitely not one with a warranty. The factory one sells for about $80 at autozone. I'd prefer to get a better than stock alternator since this one has died several times already. Are there any high amp alternators from a different vehicle that will hook to the wiring and the mounting brackets that may be at chain parts stores? Thanks [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 12:01 AM

Re: ALTERNATOR DIED

are Napas or OReillys open on sundays???i know you can get life time warantired alterantors at both places
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:16 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Ask for a 100amp alternator. They often came on trucks with the plow package and sometimes on S10 blazers with the towing kit (I don't know why).

Anyway, just ask them for a 100 amp alternator.

Your stock alternator was probably a 53 amp or maybe even a 66amp. I know mine is/was a 53amp. Since mine's making noises after submersing it yesterday I figure it'll be getting replaced soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

In the front of the AC Delco Alternator / Starter catalog is a list of 3 different 100 amp CS130 series alternators that can replace the 10Si/12Si series alternator I'm thinking you have. There is also a conversion plug (Si series alternator to CS series alternator) available from AC Delco. What's really cool [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] about the AC Delco stuff is it all fits, and will have a warranty [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I'm not at my home computer, so I can't fill you in with the correct part numbers [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Most CS130 series alternators will supply 40 amps at engine idle RPM. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
dave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:56 PM
joeybcdt

From memory, so I could be wrong. I think the 130A '86 vette alternator will work. Ask you Napa guy.
Joey
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the info. I had to settle for a 73amp from autozone w/ lifetime warranty. They had a stock one there and could get a 100amp tomorrow but wanted way too much for it. This one cost me 73bucks. Either way its better than stock and its got a warranty. Thanks again for all the quick responses.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:31 PM
87sm465np208

*post deleted*
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Mud in my Veins

He has a diesel 87, read closer. Never seen any diesels in Caprices. [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:42 PM

I have...a guy my dad works with has one, 80s or early 90s caprice, diesel...dont know the total specs on it though
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

must be early 80's. It's GM's horrible early attempt at a diesel, made with an Oldsmobile 350 block. Not the greatest of engines. Gave ALL GM diesels a bad reputation for many years to come unfortunately.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Wrong engine still......and somehow I doubt cop cars used it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode