OT: first time taking the truck down a trail. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

OT: first time taking the truck down a trail.

http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...yscout-101202/

16 vehicles went down boyscout trail. I was the only one that wasn't lifted that made it through everything without carnage or a motor full of water. I got stuck in some pretty deep water on a rock and log. It got in the cab. Bad but not seat-level bad. I ended up getting snatched out of that one. The Wrangler and the Explorer (with 6" lift and 35s) both ended up with wet motors.

We probably got 1.5" of rain this morning while out there. The rain took most of the mud off my truck. I had some pretty nice globs on the hood.

I hit a tree that was already missing a lot of bark. It didn't do anything to my bumper. The only piece of carnage was the piece of plastic that goes between the cab support and the inner wheelwell.

Oh, and I yanked a Bronco out of a hole I motored on through. I'm pretty proud of myself out of that one.

Someone took a picture of me stuck in the water. Hopefully I can get that picture.

It almost was as much fun as taking my quad out. If I didn't have to do all this clean-up (tearing out my floor) it would have been a tie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: OT: first time taking the truck down a trail.

Well, there was some carnage.

Air cleaner is full of water and mud with the top 1" of the element not being muddy. Power steering belt fell off. I think the air conditioning belt kept 'er spinning.

The mat under the vinyl is ruined. it's not going back in. The firewall mat got wet too.

I still have to change the transfer case fluid and probably just the rear differential.

There are a TON of scratches. I mean, a ton.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 08:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

Having your air intake open like that would do that. That's why I like my K&N air filters. I've had mud "tide marks" on my K&N's before. Seem to be pretty water repellent. I also tend to favor snorkles and high mounted fender intakes.

Bedliner on the floor time? No rusty and hose out cleanability.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Scratches only hurt the first time, after that they're just bragging rights. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, I didn't get the air cleaner or any of the duct work with the Jimmy front clip. Due to the headlight change my old ductwork won't work. Therefore I have to come up with something new. If I can find another big air cleaner like mine I'm going to modify it so that it points towards the passenger fender and I'm going to suck air from there. I figure the way I had it the fan just flung it in there. If K&N sold their filters for about half what they do I'd buy one. I ain't paying no $60 smack-a-roos for no damn filter that I'll be cleaning every month.

I'm going to use that plasti-kote stuff. It's relatively smooth (still can't drag a paper towel across it) unlike herculiner so it won't be like 40 grit sandpaper. It's a lot more durable than that duplicolor stuff.

This is my daily driver and my sole transportation to get me down state and back. It's hard to convince yourself to do stuff like remove your flooring and such.

Most of the guys were asking me why I was "wheelin' such a nice truck".

The scratches make me mad. Cheap-assed PPG Omni garbage. Centauri wouldn't do this. Dents, however, would royally piss me off. A couple times I thought I lost a rocker.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Mud in my Veins

I do happen to know that one of the Aussie made snorkles for Land Cruisers lines up like it belongs there with a 73-87 GM fender and A pillar.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I doubt it's your style though.

I've always gotten good results from K&N's. The 14x4 round one I got for the Blazer was only $50 at a parts store, where are you shopping?[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Worth it to me. Haven't tried any of the newer high flow air filters though, so I can't comment on them other than they're just as expensive.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

It amazes me all the people around here who restore old 4x4's and then won't use them for anything other than driving around show boating. Meanwhile half of them plow snow with their trucks............[img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]..........
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used to run the same filter box and found that if you take a womans stocking and cutting the foot part off and slip it over the snorkle using a rubberband to secure it, it will keep most of the mud and chunky stuff out.
Just make sure the rubberband fits tight. <font color="blue"> </font color>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run an open element k&amp;n 14x4 inch filter with a nylon prefilter. The first time i went out i soaked my whole motor including the filter. The truck ran but bogged. It was packed full of mud and water. I got home cleaned it up and reoiled it and it was like new again. I bought a nylon prefilter and ran that last weekend. I soaked my whole motor and it ran great. I had water coming over the hood from hitting the water holes hard. Water would bead off the prefilter. I took my filter off and inspected it and it looked fine. No mud or water at all. I also run k&amp;n filters in all my quads and dirtbikes with prefilters. They work great in all conditions and more power. They also last forever.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 02:59 PM
87sm465np208

hey thats a good idea 4wdeamon, i might take off my factory stnorkal thing and slap one of those on for a while, i do remember that i had some problems with getting mud and stuff in my air filter when i off-roaded without that thing, of corse then when i charged though water i think the snorkal helps keep water out of there [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img], i dunno i will give it a shot tho.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 03:02 PM
87sm465np208

any one know how much them snorkals cost from ARB for 73-87 trucks?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 03:19 PM

<font color="green"> they're pricey, close to $300 IIRC. </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode