Blazer Axle Swap ?s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Blazer Axle Swap ?s

I blew out the half ton corprate 12 bolt in the rear... It has 3.73 gears and I would like to go lower, so I found a set of axles for sale at a reasonable price from a 3/4 ton chevy with 4.11 gears! Perfact, but after measuring from the end of one tube to the end of the other, and measuring drum to drum, his axel is 4" shorter than mine, 2" per side. Did you run into this with Project Chode? Did you have to have the tubes and axles lenghened? (the spring perchs and shock mounts are the same distance from each other though) Or did you pull them off a 3/4 ton suburban... Welp, sorry to be long winded, I hope someone can help though, it's sad to see my beast with only front wheel drive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:49 AM

Re: Blazer Axle Swap ?s

Project Chode?...I'm confused...

Anyway, umm, is this a corp. 14 bolt that were talking about here? If so, is it a dually axle? That would explain the narrowness.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:22 AM

<font color="green"> If you're measuring from the backing plates, then the 14 bolt will seem narrower. If, howver, you measure from WMS to WMS, it should be real close unless the axle is not original. </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think if I remember right the 14 bolt WMS to WMS (Wheel mounting surface) is actually 2" wider than 1/2 ton gear. There is a web page someone that goes over the widths of axles. The back ing plates/ drums probably are narrower than the 12 but that isn't anything big. Also make sure you get a 3/4 ton 14FF rear to bolt into the blazer otherwise if you get a 1-ton 14FF you will need to relocate the spring perchases about 2" widers and move the shock brackets to the outside of the springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode