Using Oil, Rings Not Seating? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:52 AM
logan_ut

Using Oil, Rings Not Seating?

If you all remember I replaced the heads and cam on my motor last month right after I bought my truck. I think the bottom end had less than 10K miles on it. Well, since I put my heads on I've just driven my truck around town. It runs real strong and hasn't used a drop of oil. Then I decided to drive it on the interstate 150 miles back home to go hunting. I went through 3 1/2 quarts of oil!! I drove about 65-70 the whole way. I had to stop and put oil in it 3 times. It's not leaking anywhere and my engine is not smoking. I pulled the plugs and 3,4,5, and 6 were fouled and covered in oil, particularly 3 and 4. I cleaned the plugs and drove it around town. It didn't use any oil and the plugs were clean. Becuase I didn't build the bottom end I'm not sure what rings are in it but somebody told me chromoly rings not seating could be the problem. Could that be it when it goes through that much oil? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Using Oil, Rings Not Seating?

check to make sure you didn't suck an intake manifold gasket. I haven't seen it cause exactly that problem, but similiar.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:21 AM

I had a buddy who built a 454 for towing with chromoly rings, and they didn't seat until after about 40000km. He said all it took was one heavy heavy loadto get them to seat. Try dragging a backhoe or something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:53 AM
logan_ut

If seating is my problem, is there a particular weight oil that helps the rings seat? I plan on going back this weekend and lugging it around in the mountains and will be pulling a full 4 horse trailer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:58 AM

<font color="green"> A few tablespoons of Bon Ami down the carb should take care of the seating for you. Personally I am not a fan of that method, but I've seen it done with success. </font color>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A friend of my father's told me running a rich mixture helps to set rings....of course because he told me that I've never done it a different way. I'm not one to argue with the best mechanic I know.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:31 PM

Find a big rather steep hill and head down it, speed up then let off the gas completely and let it coast a bit, then get on it, then let off, and so on for a while. Should seat the rings.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 03:01 PM

AHA somone here has heard about that method other than me. If you do want to do this, first get the engine good and hot, almost boiling, then dump a couple good table spoons down the carb. Work her hard for an hour or so, then itll be fine. Just make sure you use Bon Ami washing powder , any other will be way too coarse and ruin oyur motor. Caterpillar sells it as Break in powder, and i beleive the part number is 7F5225, not sure though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 03:35 PM
logan_ut

That method kind of makes me nervous but I guess I can give it a shot [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. I'll have to put a much higher temp thermostat in to get the engine that hot. Is it common to go through that much oil at high rpm with a ring seat problem?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 03:37 PM
ratlover

My $.02
I'd be flaky of dumping anything down the carb besideds gas, water or trany fluid or oil.....but thats just me

Running rich "washes" oil of the cylinder so you get more friction and voila

Using a "load" to seat rings is a good idea IMO The increase in pressure in the cumbustion chamber pushes the rings out and makes a better seal(heavy throtle and mid rpm) wich brings me to my next point. Rings are pushed out in 2 ways(this creates a better seal to have em push into the cylinder more) The general springness of the ring pushing out into the cylinder wall but most of the sealing pressure/pushing twards the cyilnder wall pressure is created buy the cumbustion process.

Pressure pushes the ring down, ring cant go down any farthur so pressure trys to make its way to the path of least resistance, so it goes down and trys to go around the ring and gets behind the ring(between ring and piston) and this pressure pushes outpushing the ring into the cylinder wall. The higher the cyilinder pressure(more open the throttle is) the more pressure is sealing the ring. Low throttle=low cyilnder pressure and low sealing. General cruising around(on the highway and maintaining speed through town) has little cylinder pressure. When you get to moderate/higher rpms you start to get "ring flutter" Read about this on a LT1 site....lots of problems with these motors and thier low tension rings.

I bet that you are running higher rpm and not much throttle right?

Improper ring instulation(lining up all the gaps) will make it burn comtinually. Not broke in will burn even at lower loads.

Ring flutter is my very unexpert opinion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode