Anybody here have their Q-jet mounted backwards? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:22 PM
FWP

Anybody here have their Q-jet mounted backwards?

Hi guys, it's been awhile since I've visited [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

Looking to see if there's anybody who has the carb mounted in reverse [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]......

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anybody here have their Q-jet mounted backwards?

I've never heard of anyone doing it. Wouldn't that mess up the angles of the carb and give double the problems on steep uphills? *In theory to me anyways*
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can't be serious! Won't work, don't try it, what have you been smokin? Might work for a two barrel or something, and you may even get it to idle, but forget about flow, or having those large secondaries ever actually DO anything. What will you do for linkage? Just can't grasp your train of thought here. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:57 AM

<font color="green"> I've actually heard of this but can't remember what the benefits are. </font color>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen a carb being mounted backwards, but only in a tandem setup. I saw it, didn't know why it was like that, and didn't ask. I figured the explaination would be completely irrelevant to me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 09:11 PM
87sm465np208

yea, ill tell you what, it is called hill billy fuel injection, you can run at an 80% grade and not flood it, heard that from my machaic friend from grade school, never tryed it tho. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:53 AM
FWP

Thanks Evan. I run 4+ trails now, and it seems these days I'm getting more and more extreme with what I do with my K5. I'm finding more and more limitations with a stock set-up and I'm modifying accordingly. I'll explain further for those that think I'm 'smoking something' [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Try this and tell me what you find [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]....... Drive forward up a hill that gets steeper and steeper, almost to vertical. Keep in the throttle (moderately) until the motor starts to die. Let off the gas. Does it still idle? Make a note of the max angle achieved. Now do the same thing in reverse up the hill [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. There's many a hill that can be taken in reverse, but not in forward.

Here's what I've found on my rig through testing, research, and on the trail- Q-jet wise. Keep in mind my crawl ratio isn't very high, yet [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (the doubler is gonna happen soon), I have to keep in the gas, power braking, etc. torturing my tranny [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

1. Forward uphill is limited to 35-50 degrees while in the throttle
2. It will idle up to around 60 degrees
3. Backwards uphill will get to about 65 degrees, and still be able to step on the skinny pedal without the motor sputtering and dying on you.
4. The cavity in the front of the bowl is filled with a spacer, keeping the fuel level somewhat in a decent area for downward angles
5. There is no spacer in the rear of the bowl, so on uphill angles, the fuel either dumps into the secondaries through the vents, or uncovers the primary jets.

This is a mod that's been done. I was asking if anyone on this board had actually done it, because I am checking out the differences in cost vs. effectiveness from going TBI or the Q-jet backwards. Yes, TBI (or TPI for that matter) will run upside down, but I'm thinking that running an engine upside down is a bad idea [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:20 AM

<font color="green"> Yeah, I think that oiling might be a problem with the motor upside down. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I'd say that FI is the preferred route, but I'd be interested in finding out how well the Q-jet works mounted backwards! The throttle linkage would probably be the biggest obstacle, unless you have an intake with the big n' little holes, which would obviously need some work. Maybe converting to a hydraulic throttle would be an easy way to get that going, they're pretty common for sandrails, I'm sure that a universal kit could be made to work pretty easily. I say go for it! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]</font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode