Raptor 700r4? and Unimog portal ends? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Raptor 700r4? and Unimog portal ends?

Is anybody using a raptor 700r4? Just wondered how it was working out for them. Are there any companies that build a quality one a little less pricey? Does anybody know where you can the Unimog portal ends? Or the complete axle assembly? Also, any input about the set-up. It looks like a good one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:13 PM

Re: Raptor 700r4? and Unimog portal ends?

For the axles, check out: Rock Buggy Supply

As for the tranny, check out the garage on the CK5 forums, I believe there was a post recently in there. I'll see if I can dig it up...

Here it is: Click Here

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:40 PM

Also check out www.exaxt.ca for the mog axle information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:42 PM

I would have gotten a local shop to rebuild my 700 when it puked but all the tranny shops around here REALLY SUCK especially with 700's so i opted to buy the JET. When i got it 3yrs and 60k miles ago ago it was $1500 for the tranny and $150 to ship the tranny by freight from CA to SC. I've been pleased with it so far but i messed up and bought it with a non-lockup(don't ask me why [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]) I hope you can find a deal or at least a decent price on a 700.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:54 PM

Yeah, I second the JET, have heard nothing but good things about them. I'm going to be getting a built 4l80e for the willys from them.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you didn't follow Willyswanters link to the post on ck5 then you should, worth the read. More like a mini series than a post! Interesting, glad he got the trans replaced. I would have a hard time relaxing while running that Raptor after all the horror stories. I'm with you Jason on the tranny selection, th400 or 4L80E. Built stronger straight from the factory and any improvements on it just make it better. If getting a built 700r4 then asking on the boards is a good move too, might influence you with who to get one from. I couldn't find anyone locally that could get mine to run right, got fed up and stuck a 400 in it and I am happy now.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 09:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

there was been alot of bad luck with the raptor tranny's and cust service experienced at ck5.com lately. Alot of people recomment the bowtieoverdrives.com 7000r4 trannys. Personally I took mine out and replaced it with a th400. Bolted right up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think I'll go with the Bowtie 700r4 stage 3. I talked to him for 20minutes over the phone and it seemed like a pretty good outfit. Gonna check into the portal axles a bit more. Sure seems like a nice setup. 35" tires would be almost like 44's. If I find out I can run highway speeds, I might go for them.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Right on. I think you made a good choice [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode