2 1/2-4" lift question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 12:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

2 1/2-4\" lift question

Ok, here's the question...

I recently bought my Blazer with a 2 1/2" Rancho lift on it.

I want to raise it another 1 1/2-2".

The front spring packs are new and plenty stiff.

The rear springs are stock and have a 2 3/4" block for the lift. Even with the Rancho 5000's the back feels softer and even a little tippy when hitting uneven road surfaces.

I was thinking 2" add-a-leaf's for the rear with Rancho 9000's to stiffen it up, OR finding a 4" lifted leaf pack and toss the block.

Since the front is plenty stiff I am hesitant to add another leaf to the pack... would it be ok to just put longer shackles on up front, or would add-a-leaf's be a better bet?

Also, will these 5000 shocks for the 2 1/2" lift work if I go up 2" more?

I assume that for the 2 1/2" lift the steering arm is stock and that I will have to spring for an arm for a 4" lift?

Thanks from a newbie for the anticipaited help!!!
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:04 AM

Re: 2 1/2-4\" lift question

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I want to raise it another 1 1/2-2".

[/ QUOTE ]
1"Zero rate lift from Offroad Design
I was thinking 2" add-a-leaf's for the rear with Rancho 9000's to stiffen it up, OR finding a 4" lifted leaf pack and toss the block.

[/ QUOTE ]
add-a-leaf will stiffen up the rear. Also using mathcing shocks on all corners so you will get the full benefit of the shock system. I run Skyjacker hydros 4 in the front and 2 in the rear. A 4" pack is alot better than a block if you want a stiffer ride.
Since the front is plenty stiff I am hesitant to add another leaf to the pack... would it be ok to just put longer shackles on up front, or would add-a-leaf's be a better bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Longer shackles up front mess up the angles on the front end. add-a-leaf up front will stiffen it even more.

In my opinion if i wanted to lift 4" i would get 4"springs. All that little stuff adds up and doesn't really function as good as an all spring lift. Not to mention how cluttered it can look. I hope this helped [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

zero rates can help and finding diff blocks are spring packacke for the rear. Maybe you can get a whole new 4" lift kit too. I got my Tuff Coutrny 4" lift for $230 before shipping but I also already had a raised steering arm. I think the 4" TC lift w/ arm is around $300 with rear blocks. Might be more cost efectivce to go that route then sell your 2" springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for the help!
I hadn't thought about zero rate springs.
Who offers a 4" rear spring pack alone?
After driving this around with a shorter block I don't think I want to add taller blocks on these springs. After 20 yrs maybe they just need to be replaced...

Thanks for the tip on the front shackles not being the ticket either! That would have been a cost effective, but stupid way to go I see.

Thanks again!
Greg
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you may look at a shakle flip from www.offroaddesign.com for a 4" lift in the back end and use your existing spings. The ORD shakle flip runs about $180 but there are ways to biuld your own for free and very easy. I don't have the pics on this computer but I know Drey has them if he chimes in [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:49 AM

You also may consider a shackle flip in the rear from ORD and keep your stock springs, that would probably save some bucks and you wouldnt have an extra set of springs lying around. Just my .02.
check these'n's out.

shackleflip
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 12:07 PM

HA...hey matt, look at the times that those posts were made..we were writing the same thing at the same time.
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

crazy man, just craaaaazzzzzyyyyyyyy [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys!
I hadn't thought of that as an option.
It is a lot cheaper than springs isn't it.

Is there any problem towing with that set-up?
I take it you aren't supposed to use the flip on the fronts right?

To me this eratic swaying over epansion joint feels like the front tracks well over the bump... but the rear send the truck swaying/twisting and it's very scary if you aren't ready for it.

The guy I bought it from said he thought the steering stabilizer was shot, I don't know how to check it, or what it causes when it goes out.

Anyone?

Thanks for being patient with a newbie, it's really appreciated.

Greg
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

You can get a rear spring set for about $200, IF you buy the front stuff at the same time. Sounds to me like your rear springs are just wore out. 20 years under a near 5,000lb V8 powered truck will do that. You might be better off just spending the money and getting a complete 4" lift from someone and replacing all that stuff.

See if you can get some better shape rear springs out of a mid 80's and up K5. They used a spring pack with more leaves for a better ride and more flex. Then you could just do the front 4" lift and the rear shackle flip.

It's not really possible to do the front shackle flip, and no, it's not safe anyways.

New steering stabilizer for it will be $30 if I'm correct in assuming you have the factory brackets already there. It's just a regular shock.

Personally I like www.BDS-Suspension.com's leaf spring suspension systems. Good prices, high quality stuff that rides nice and flexes well, and their warranty can't be beat. I've heard good stuff about the Tuff Country and Rough Country lifts as well though.

I'd go with Bilstein 5100 shocks. I like firm shocks though, tend to drive fast and aggressive.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode