4x4 tranny for my 307? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 02:20 PM
iwannatruck

4x4 tranny for my 307?

i have a chevy 307 and i need to get a transmission for it and i want a manual 5 speed 4x4. what transmission do i need to get? ive heard that overdrive is no good for offroading, is this true? does anyone know of a website where i can find a transmission for my 307?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 04:12 PM

Re: 4x4 tranny for my 307?

Well if you want a five speed for a fullsize your gonna want a NV4500 which came in latemodel GM's and Dodges (maybe phords too??). Now, I'm no guru but I think your 307 block is one of those oddball blocks that's gonna cause you troubles finding a bellhousing to work with the NV4500..

Overdrive is GOOD for 4x4's cause it lets you drive to the trail without turning 3000+ rpm all the way there. It's of no use on the trail, unless you got some wierd drivline gearing and you need the tranny to be over to move when everything else is way under.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 05:01 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

307s aren't worth the scrap they're made of. Go find a 305 if money is an issue. They're 10x better than a 307. The 307 was GM's famous "oops".

As far as transmissions, anything will bolt up to my knowledge.

If you use the NV4500 you'll have issues with finding a flywheel that'll fit. The NV4500 requires a new-style flywheel and the 307 is an antique motor with the old style crankshaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Pete

The 307 is a small block chevy and will bolt to ANY bellhousing that a 350 or 305 will. It is basicly a 283 with a 327 crank. It was no great thing, but it wasn't a bad engine either. It is not a musclecar motor, but should work fine for a truck. Mine did.
Getting a clutch/flywheel combo together may be a trick, maybe not. You need a clutch disk that fits the splines on the input shaft of the NV4500, and flywheel and pressure plate from a 60's to mid-80's vehicle that matches your disk's diameter. Throwout bearing length may be an issue. You will also need the correct pilot bushing. If the input shaft of the nv4500 does not fit a standard bushing, go to a machine shop and have the bushing modified.
I'm sure I'll get flamed for sticking up for a 307, but if you have an engine that works, why blow money on another?
Pete
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My brother had a 307 in his Nova. It was just like any other SBC. I'd rate it between the 305 and 350. The two I've driven (brothers Nova and Uncles '37 Chevy) were pleny powerful enough.
The 4.3 was GM's big "oops".
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:22 AM
ratlover

A 307 is justa stroked 283. The will bolt up to any gm trany fine. The motor mounts are different if you swap it out but thats the only issue, anyother smallblock part will swap.

307's get a very bad rap, they aint that bad of motors. They were never used in a performance application and they were used to move some heavy cars so tier small displacement became an issue. Noone knocs a 283 other than it is small displacemnt and noone knocks a 327(short of the small jornal cranks from the early years) I had a 307 I rebuilt and it was a good running motor. I know of some people that get nice performance outa them with some small cc 305 heads and a dualplane manifold. I would rather have a 307 than a 305.....just because you can get the same power outa them(and they got a bigger bore so shrouding aint as much of an issue) and when you whip people you can tell them they got beat by the "Mistake" motor [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img], the lil 307. I still dont know why every one turns up thier noses???

I would build a 350 or 400 because there is no risplacement for displacement but 307's arnt all bad and any performance parts you buy for a 307(like headers or a manifold) will work for a 350

Do you have a manual now? Why do you want a 5 speed? all the extra gear is good for is the highway, beings you wont be in OD on off road an OD tranny isnt good or bad for offroading....because it dosnt get used. But it is nice to have OD if you have deep gears and want to run a 65 mph without having your motor reving to the moon. What is your particular application?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

The 307 was a bastard motor like the 262. It was basically a midget of the 350. It still had a long stroke and small bore. It didn't rev worth beans and was known to grenade. There's a reason they were only used for five years. The 283 was 10x the motor the 307 was.

I can't hardly wait until someone says the 302 or 262 was a pristine motor. haha.

The only thing the 307 is good for is a donor crank for a 350 so you can make a 327. Now, the 327 is one awesome motor.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 02:01 PM
ratlover

Never said a 307 was the best motor but it isnt as bad as people think. Prone to blow up??? Why? You ever ran one? The only thing wrong with a 307 is it is down on cubes.

The 350 is such a great motor, but the 307 has a bore/stroke ratio close to a 350 yet it is crap and prone to blow up? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Using equal parts the 307's piston speed is actually less so using equal parts a 307 will rev higher than a 350 before the pistons reach an unsutiable speed. And the 307 has a higher bore to stroke ratio than a 350(biger bore/stroke than a 350) But a 350 is great and a 307 is crap

Why was the 283 10x the motor? All a 307 is is a stroked 283, so stroking a motor makes it worse??? You should tell all those guys running 383's that they should have stuck with a 350 instead [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

A 302 is a crappy motor [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] It might be a bad choice in a 4x4 but in a light 4 speed car with some gears they can be made to whip ass. Many a 302 humbled many a bigblock back when tire technology wasnt what it is now. And they are a very fun motor to drive.....something about spinning to 7 grand from the factory [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Why do you say 327's are so great? Thier nature makes them a revhappy motor and beings you think high reving smallblocks are no good(deducting that since you dont like 302's) then why are they ok but not a 302? They are not torque motors(just like a 307)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 04:50 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I think you're merely looking for something to argue about. Of course, that's fun too. haha

307s were regularly warranteed motors. 307s are rare. There is a reason why you don't find 307s in junkyards that are worth pulling. It's not simply that it was a bad design (because it really wasn't all that bad but wasn't great either) they were actually bad blocks.

By using a long stroke 350 block to make a 383 you are doing just that, making the stroke longer. The longer the stroke and shorter the rod the worse it revs. Now, you can compensate for that by using a 6" rod on a 383 but we're talking some serious money.

The 283 made some ponies in its day. It had a short stroke and not only had reasonable torque but made some horsepower. Not to mention fuel economy. Plus, just like a 327 you see them with 200,000 plus miles on them--which is pretty amazing for a carbureted motor that's constantly getting its walls washed.

A 302 is better replaced with a 305. Plentiful and parts cheap. It's easy and cheap to get 250 horses out of a 305. I mean, 302s were only made for racing anyway. That's the only reason GM ever made them so of course they're going to rev like an alcohol breathing hemi.

327s are bulletproof. They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. They last forever, rev, and make some reasonable torque. They must've put them in trucks for a reason... and I'm willing to bet it wasn't to break necks going from stoplight to stoplight.

Someday, when I can find a 400 and a 350, I'm going to make a 377 and a 383. I'll have a torquemonger of a 383 and a high-strung 377. One can go in a truck and one can go in a car. Preferably a 72-72 GMC and a 73 split bumper Camaro. I can dream, can't I?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 07:22 AM
ratlover

Not looking to argue.....

I'm not looking to argue I just dont get why so many people have a beef with 307's or other things they have no experience with yet regergitate what every one else says....

Actual bad blocks??? Never heard that....

A longer rod isnt going to gain you many revs. True with a longer rod near TDC you slow the piston down more befroe it starts heading twards BDC but it is accelerating more during the middle of the stroke. Piston speed is what is critical with the rev limit for a bottom end, and piston speed aint changing much regardless of the lenght of rod. Longer rods are nice to reduce side loading(that why I will never build a 400 with the stumpy 5.56 rod, I will use 5.6" rod unless it is an all out racer) Extra long rods put the wrist pin up high and way into the oil ring.

A 283 made deccent torque??? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] They had a tinny bore and a short stroke, thats why GM made the 307's. They stroked a 283 because they wanted more torque for the grandma/economy cars that werent out racing everyone.

The reason 302's rev to the moon is because they have such a short stroke. They can rev till 7 grand before they rech a critical piston speed because the piston dosnt have far to travel per revolution with such a short stroke. The small lite pistons help the rods also....

327's are a good lil economy motor or they are great fun if used like a 302. Lots of rear gear a lite car and a 4 speed [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Oh what fun!!!

If your going to hold out for a 400 to build a 377 you might as well wait for two to have a 406 for your truck too [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I was planing on dumping a 400 into my truck but once I got the block home it was cheaper to dump my 454 into my truck than it was to build a 400.

Once again I'm not arguing, I like to get all kinds of views on stuff. You can learn lots from disscusions with people even if thier oppinions arnt your own. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode