Clutch+water= bad - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Clutch+water= bad

Theres a water hole across form the punchout shack at work. And I like to play around a bit in it with my 72, never went all the way in before.But now with my 38's, I said "hey, ill go through and come out the other side" , well I got right in it, an started to sink in the silt at the bottom, I jammed for reverse, and the clutch pedal hit the floor, no movey da truck. So water stated comin in the cab cause it was four feet deep, and up to the bottom of the seat, so i climb in the back and start to hook the cable up, and a buddy saw me and had a camera, (pics later)anywho, he drug me out with the loader, and the truck still wont move.Dam, the linkage looks fine so it needs a clutch, gonna drag it inside tommorow and check it out a little more. At least its clean to work on now. Any tips on how to keep water out a little better would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 05:46 PM

Re: Clutch+water= bad

Umm, got a question here... Ok, what would water have to do with the clutch pedal going to the floor? If water got on the clutch, wouldn't it just cause it to slip a little bit but grab just like normal a second later than normal? If the pedal goes to the floor, and it's a mechanical linkage, not a master/slave cylinder setup, I would think it's a linkage problem or the clutch fork or clutch itself busted. Anyway, just wondering...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

I was just thinking about that while watching reservoir dogs, im starting to think the throwout bearing flew apart, which would make the pedal go to the floor, but would leave the clutch engaged, but it still wanst moving, so its still gotta come apart. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like a linkage problem, but then I dunno what the pedal feels like.
Really want to see those pictures though [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] hopefully water didn't go anywhere else it isn't suppose to go.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

my vents are plenty high, so im not concerned, just the darn clutch, the visible linkage is fine, so its in the bellhousing definatley. I hope those pics come out too, i need pics of that truck cause i got none. it was quite a sensation i must say, being 40 inches off the ground and have the cab full of water [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 09:11 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Does the pedal feel normal?

You might have tossed one of the springs on the plate. I did that on my Sonoma and the guy at the shop said he'd never seen anything like that before. It was the side effect of doing something similar to what you did, only it involved snow and 600lbs of sand in the back of my truck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It was the side effect of doing something similar to what you did, only it involved snow and 600lbs of sand in the back of my truck

[/ QUOTE ]
it was the exact same...only completely different [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
sorry I just found it amusing
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

No the pedal is light pushing a feather nothing there at all. goes right to the floor, i think the only reason it comes back up is the spring my uncle put on the linkage.

Rusty, I see no difference in throwing the clutch in a sonoma with (presumably) stock tires and 600 lbs of sand in the back and me doin it i 4 feetof water in a K20 with 38's [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 08:56 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

You might've broken a clutch fork but it does sound like the throwout bearing went AWOL. If it was the pressure plate ears or a spring in the friction disk then it'd feel funny and probably always stay partially engaged.

I did it in my Sonoma which still had the 31x10.50s on it (sno snow tires not on yet). I was going 8-10 miles an hour when I threw it in reverse and dumped the clutch. The truck hopped all over the place and I'm surprised I didn't ruin a whole lot more. I was coming up to an intersection that was all ice/slush and a car was sliding through a stop sign and I knew I wouldn't be able to stop once I left the good asphalt I was on. The person ended up sliding sideways into a pole.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like the fork to me. I have seen the fork slide out of place if you dont have a spring holding tension on it, the fork can slip out of place on the indexing ball in the bellhousing and fall off the throwout, but this is rare. If this was the case, sometimes you can wiggle the fork around and get it lined back on the throwout by feel. I was able to do this once, but the other time I had to pull it apart to get everything lined back up. Good luck. by the way get those pics up-sounds like a cool truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode