quick tranny question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

quick tranny question

ok i just bought a 1984 6.2l diesel suburban for $900
and it has a blown 700r4 i was wondering if i could
swap in a th400 or th350 with no problems
(ex. linkage, bolt patterns, wiring.)
do the 400 and 350 have a lockup function?
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: quick tranny question

depends on what you call no problems. The linkage is a bit different being that like the TH350 has only 3 gears (forward). wiring is different because well 700R4 is computer controlled i believe unless it is modified. The wiring on the other 2 from my understanding is simpler and this shouldn't really cause a problem.
There are kits available from like TCI to switch to a different tranny, I know for sure of a 700R4 to TH350. I would suggest a kit just because then you know you will have everything you need.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 09:14 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

The lockup on the 700R4 is controlled by a vacuum switch.

The TH350c was a lockup transmission.

The 400 never had a lockup torque converter.

If I remember correctly, the linkage will work but your indicator needs to be replaced with a 3speed one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 11:42 PM

forget about the indicator...thats just a convenince
my dads old 87 S10 never worked, you can feel the clicks when you move it, or just paint over the letters and rewrite them
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i really have no idea how the vaccum is hooked up stock on the 700R4 never really looked when taking it out. I always replaced it with a different setup, does this hook up to a modulater that is mounted on the firewall???
I know how to TCI hooks up and other modified ones which hook up essentially the same.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 05:15 AM
RolngThun

A guy who works for me is doing the same swap right now.
He bought a kit that adapts the T350 to his transfer without changing the driveshaft lengths. I think he paid around 75 bucks for it. I will have to find out more for you on it. He got it from a bud of mine who does trannies for a GM dealer.
I'm doing the T350 for him, so I do know that you use a 2 wheel drive output shaft and cut an inch off it.
He runs 36" Swampers with stock gears, so he never used O.D. anyways. He had found through the research that he did, that there was alot of problems with the mid 80s T700r4s.
I'm going to the shop this afternoon to finish his trans up so I will get more info on that kit for you.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 09:21 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

You hook it up to manifold vacuum and it magically says "hey, let's lock up the torque converter". Also, on a stock system, the torque converter won't lock until a temperature switch says it's time to turn on. This prevents the transmission from locking up until it's at operating temperature. I eliminated my temperature switch in order to eliminate some bull**** on my motor.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 02:03 PM
RolngThun

www.teckpak-fitzall.com
1-800-527-2544
He said he paid 60 dollars for his kit.
It comes with the adapter for the transfer case, no need to
change driveshafts. It has parts to adapt the kick down cable, and a new gear shift indicator.
It says for diesel, you will have to buy a new transmission regulator, G.M. part number 14057219. This regulator replaces the throttle position sensor on your injection pump. And tells you how to hook up into the vacuum system.
You will need a non lock up T-350 with a 6 inch extension housing. You will be cutting 1 3/8" off the output shaft.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey thanks for the info but i just found out that the 700
is pretty trouble free if i build it up
so i guess ill just rebuild it
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have gone through 4 700R4s and finally put a TH400 in it place. It was bolt up easy. The th400 is vacuum actuated and has a botton you mount under the gas pedel for kickdown whereas the 700 has a detent cable and a wiring harnes for lockup control. I swapped in a th400/NP241 in place of the 700/208 and everything went good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode