rear axle seals on a 10 bolt gov loc axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 09:53 PM
87sm465np208

rear axle seals on a 10 bolt gov loc axle

alright, well i suspect my axle seals are leaking, really bad, i dont know for sure if they are whats leaking tho, how can you tell if they are leaking really bad\in need of replacement?thanks guys [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 09:56 PM

Re: rear axle seals on a 10 bolt gov loc axle

<font color="green"> If there's gear oil in the brake drums, then they're leaking. Can't tell if it's gear oil or brake fluid? Brake fluid doesn't smell, gear oil smells nasty. </font color>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

not to mention gear oil is a whole lot thicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

your rear brake may be really touchy too. That 90 wt gets in your brakes and when the brakes are apply may cause your rear tires to lock very easy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 03:18 PM
87sm465np208

god dammit, yea when i first start driving in the morning, my brakes are like lock right now, im gunna take the drums off sometime this week and look at them. maybe i will do that right now, so i can get the parts [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 07:44 PM
87sm465np208

well, its not the axle seals, cracked open the drums only to find out that my rear brake shoues are still in good shape and everything is still working nicely, lol well i guess the thing that is spraying everything with gear lube is my pinoin yoke, it is rather sloppy and rather oily, i think im just gunna add some heavier gear lube to slow the leak down alittle bit, oh well thanks guys, at least i will know how to realize when axle seals go bad [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], thanks guys.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sometimes it is nice when you don't HAVE to find out about things though [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 08:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A buddy of mine had his rear wheel seals out and instead of fixing them he took his brake shoes off so it wouldn't lock up the tires. Aargh! Some people. He was turning 36" TSLs too. This is the same kid that wanted to trade his kingpin D60 for a ball joint 60 fornt..... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't know about anyone else, but I kinda like the idea of being able to stop. Specifically after I had the brakes go out once (brake line rubbed through somehow). I demolished the Corsica that was nice enough to stop me...only chipped my paint though [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] that part was kinda neat [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] now my insurance is expensive [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am planning on disk brake rears but I really don't wanna pay the masive cash for the el dorado e-brake calipers so I won't have a manual e-brake. I am gonna put a line line on teh front and on on teh back brake lines right by the mster cylinder and that way if I loose a brake line I can just lock the front or rear and use the other brakes to get it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode