Will my lift match my tires? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will my lift match my tires?

I'm just about ready to lift my '83 K-5, and I'm looking into the all new Wrangler MT/R's. What siz should I get if I'm lifting the beast 3 inches? And also, what are someother tires i might want to look into? I'd prefere cheaper ones as I'm a high school student with a summer job!

Thanks
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Will my lift match my tires?

For a 3 inch lift you can run alot of different tire sizes. So I personally go for 33's, fill out a wheel well quite nicely. For width you have to consider what kinds of driving you are going to be doing. is the truck just for off-roading? if so slap some mudders on there that aren't too wide, unless you are attempting to float on top of everything then wider tires...which i have yet to see work. If you are going to be driving on the road mostly but still want to off-road look at some All-Terrains. Also if you have bad winter weather where you are, don't want to go too wide. Unless of course you have winter rims. Then there are nitwits like me, running 33x12.5's year round (sliding is fun). For over size tires though figure about 150 bucks a tire, depending on brand and actual size of course. I claim no responsibility if you look at Mickey Thompson's though and think i am nuts for saying 150 per tire, after all them puppies are expensive. Of course cost of mounting and balancing depends on the shop you go through.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 04:32 AM

Hey rusty, last saturday at a bog there was a samurai with 33x12.5 thorbirds (crap) that was floating the front tires. He was pretty drunk so he ran over three junk cars too, that was cool to see. Anyways, floating can be done, but I doubt it with a full size!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 05:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well i was talking about fullsize a friend of mine does the floating thing with his Toyota LandCruiser, pretty impressive actually, he gets across more stuff than anyone else i know...he also goes alot faster though too. Some of us have to drive our trucks to work the next day though. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 11:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mud,
I'm running 33x12.50x15's on 15x8's with 2 1/2" of suspension lift on my Blazer with no problems.

As far as a cheaper alternative? Try ProComp M/T's. The provide excellant traction off road, they balanced easily, quiet on the road, ride smooth...
4WheelParts offers them at buy 3 get 1 free every couple months. I have a set on my '01 Ram Off Road and wheel with a friend a lot that has the same truck except he's running the same size Goodyear MT/R's. They are equal as far as we can tell off road, but I doubt you will find the Goodyears for 25% off.

Good Luck!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 07:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

While we're on the subject of tires, another question. I remember some years ago seeing tires advertised in a magazine that were narrower than the usual 33x12.5, 32x11.5 etc. Anyone ever hear of this, do they still make them, and where can I get them? I really don't want to run a winter set of tires, but I'm concerned about the width of the 33's being a negative factor in the snow.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 08:40 AM

You mean pizza cutters bob? I think tires that are 265/55r16 are narrow 33s, but its been a while and its early, so dont quote me.
People usually use them to get to the bottom of the snow where they can find hard pack and get traction I guess.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

smallest I have seen that are still measured in inches are 10.5. Other than that you would have to go look at standard tire measurements. I've never had a problem with my 12.5's in the snow. Unless I stepped on the brake hard, or the throttle hard, and I am one of those people that always drives around in 2wd. Figure if I get stuck I still have a way out [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Super Swampers Radials come in 33x10.50x15's.
Here is the specs on them:

33x10.50R-15LT
6 ply
21/32 tread depth
7.9 actual tread width
32.7 diameter
10.6 max case width
8.5x15 suggested rim
50psi max inflation
2620 load per tire

I wouldn't want to go any narrower than that.
Hope that helps!
Greg
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have 32x11.5's on there now..have to wait for snow and see how they do. The last few winters have been really mild here anyway. I think last winter we might have gotten 6" of snow all season!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode