Holy Shakes Batman - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Holy Shakes Batman

Blister. I Just purchased (about 3 months ago) The PERFECT TRUCK, for me that is.I was traveling down the road rolling about 45 or so. I had to come to a stop and when I slowed down and got to about 15 mph the front end started shaking something terribly. I litteraly thought the front tires were gonig to take off on the other direction .And then it stopped at about 5 mph. What in the world could that be. I dont have any loose lug nuts. could it be that the tires are so out of balance? Any help would be appreciated.

Later The Rod. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] <font color="yellow"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 10:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Holy Shakes Batman

Check that the tires are balanced and not worn od.

Check all the steering, including the steering box and the frame.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 12:13 AM

Maybe warped rotors. Does it have those low dust metallic brake pads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 08:38 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

What size tires? Is there any peculiar wear on the tires? What about brakes?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 02:34 PM
96Chevysfa

check your bearings... is the spanner nut tight?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am ruuning 33's. I have not looked at the brakes yet though. What bearing might you be thinking of? It does it while the brakes are applied or not. Could a shake that bad be caused by something as simple as Balancing? It drives pretty good. It has a liitle play but other than that it seems to be "pretty normal" if you will. Rod. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] <font color="red"> </font color>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think what is happening to you also happened to me. I don't think it is out of balance tires because that would be constant and whatnot. I had the same problem with my dads one ton dump, if you were going down the road and hit a bump the front end would start shaking violently untill you slowed to around 5 miles an hour. This would also happen to my blazer every so often but ever since I replaced my steering stabilizer and drag link it hasn't happened. So what I figure it is probably a combination of worn out tie rod ball joints or drag link joints, or a bad steering stabilizer. I would start by watching the steering components in motion as a friend works the wheel back and forth to see if there is any looseness in the joints and then go from there. I hope that helps you out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

The infamous Death Wobble. If you want to read pages and pages of people trying to discern the cause and solution to this problem, go to CK5 and enter Death Wobble into the search function. It will give you multiple pages on this ailment. I ahd the problem myself, and replaced my stabilizer and it went away. I run 38" bias ply swampers and a single stock replacement stabilizer worked great. This is actually a problem more common on the D60 front's, but it has occured in the 10bolt and D44 fronts from time to time.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 11:28 PM

Yeah, you should see my truck in the morning when it's cold with uneven flat spots and no steering stabalizer [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Yep, i need to pick me one of them things up [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 08:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had that problem too, with my crappy 10 bolt...but it turned out to be odd wear on the tires. Whenever I turned completely to the left or the right my tires use to rub. I didn't know about it and the last owner never said anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode