A Little Help With NP203 and 79 Blazer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A Little Help With NP203 and 79 Blazer

Hey guys,
Ok I have a little problem here. I have never really messed with 4wd issues so will get your opinions and suggestions.

First I have a 79 Blazer, 350 backed by a TH350 and a NP203 transfer case.

First I am not 100% sure of the exact shift pattern for the transfer case.
Secondly, With the shift all the way forward it goes with no problem, with the shifter all the way back it goes no problem. Anywhere else and it acts as in idle.

I am hoping that it may just be bad linkage, but not 100% sure if that would be the case or not.

Thanks for any help.

Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Kendog454

Re: A Little Help With NP203 and 79 Blazer

My buddy has a 79 GMC with the NP203 case, and it's a bastard to find 4HI when coming out of any other gear. Takes some finesse, to say the least
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

np203 is a full time 4wd, with the shifter all the way back your in 4lock, second from back is 4wd (open, so you can drive on asphalt) third from back is neutral, last one or two im not sure, its eather 4Lo locked, or 4Lo and 4Lo locked. im sure of the first three from back but not the Lo config. in any case, it ought to move in two back positions and all the way forward. do you have a PT mod on the tcase? (if you have front manual hubs than you probaboly do) are you missing a drive shaft? do you spin a wheel on each axle when locked t case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 01:52 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yeah it should be: (looking from the seated position)

******DASH SIDE********
L Loc
L
N
Hi
Hi Loc
********SEAT SIDE************

I also agree that you need to make sure that the front drive shaft is in/connected. With out the front shaft connected, you will only be able to drive it in Hi Loc and Lo loc. Look closely because it may be that it is connected on one end, but wired up out of the way on the other or something.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 02:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NO Front Drive Shaft is not in... I just purchased a new (used) one to put in it. But was concerned since I was unable to get in gear in 2 of the locations.

It does not have the PT kit in it yet. I hope to do that next spring. Thanks for all the information.

Clint
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 03:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

(insert sond of my head punding on a brick wall here)
you know the difference between an open diff and a locked or limited slip one?
same goes for the t case
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First off the reason i posted this question was A) Cause the shop who rebuilt my transmission tried to tell me my TC was shot and it needed replaced. Due to other things about this particular shop I will never use again nor take his advice. He also advised NOT to drive with the front Shaft in place.

So I came here to get opinions.

Furthermore... I got some of the answers I was looking for thank you guys. I did adjust the linkage this afternoon and the truck pulls in all 4 positions. Now I just have to put the front shaft back in and I should be set.

I am not a transmission guy nor Transfer Case, this is my first 4WD that I had to actually do work on. So I honestly "knew" nothing about the transfer case. Now I am more educated.

Thanks guys
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i think you took my "pounding on a brick wall" too seriously, next time include the missing shaft part in the original question, and don't let willis scare ya eather [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], (if willis reads this im in deep sh..),
and withouth the shaft in place, its NOT supposed to pull until the t case is in one of the lock positions, your front ouput should be the only thing spinning since its the peath of least resistance. once you get the shaft in it should pull in all but Neutral positions.
the t case wasn't designed to be used with the front shaft missing but never heard of anybody having problems because of it, so i wouldn't think twice about it.

EDIT: and why did i implement willis in this?... anyone....? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 10:41 PM
Mud in my Veins

Something to do with the shaft comment maybe? [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 11:10 PM

Umm, I give up why?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode