Valve Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 03:14 PM
ratlover

Valve Question

Any one know if its possible to lap your valves while the heads are on the motor?

I was swaping springs for my BB swap and put the air hold adapter in the spark plug and I got valves with air blowing past them. Like blowing past them BAD. Seems the machine shop did a really good job seting up my heads. If anything went right in my life I would get worried. Always check everything. Dont assume that they arnt degenerates Looks like I am eating some head gaskets....

Just had to vent [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 05:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Valve Question

I don't know of any mechanical method that would allow the valves to be lapped while the heads were bolted to the cylinder block. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I have used an electric drill motor on the valve stems to spin the valves to help lubricate the valve guides on an engine that sat for several years. I doubt my electric drill motor trick would help the seats any.
dave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 07:42 PM

Yeah, the drill method would work if you could get lapping compound on the seats some how...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 05:56 AM
RolngThun

I think you could get the compound on easy enough through the ports. But I would be concerned as to getting it back off, not to mention that abrasive stuff ending up in the cylinders. They would probally seat in once it is run. But I don't think I would risk it. Plus, i would have the machine shop pay for my gaskets.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 07:00 AM
ratlover

I know there aint really any way to do it without yanking the heads. I'm just going to go at it with some compound and the little suction cup dealy. This crap just pisses off [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Then again I was open to some majic method from motor building gurus [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 05:32 PM
RolngThun

I'm interesed in what the machine shop had to say about it.
I know if I did a job like that in my shop, I would be expected to pay something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode