Stering arm, how odse it come off? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stering arm, how odse it come off?

I just finished putting on a 6'' superlift and was completing it when i ran into a problem, the stering arm that you take off to put the raised one on, well the stock one will not come off, now ive tryed a hammer, then an air chilzel and still nothing anything that might be of help to me so i can get my ride on the road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stering arm, how odse it come off?

I think you mean Pitman arm, and if you do, there is a tool for it, similar to a pulley puller. If you're on good terms with a local mechanic you might be able to borrow it from them. I have a friend who had a hell of a time getting the one off his YJ, took quite a bit to get it off, I dont remember what he used, I can find out if you run out of options.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 01:55 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Well, if you do indeed mean the steering arm on the knuckle, then you're on the right track. If you haven't done it yet, soak the thing in liquid wrench or PB Blaster. then beat the bejeezus out of it with a huge sledge. Then soak it again. Then beat on it some more. Repeat as many times as neccessary. Eventually it will come off. Hit it from all different angles to get it popped loose. Avoid trying to pry it up since you may mess up the mounting surface on the knuckle so the new arm won't seat well. Heating it helps sometimes too, just try to keep the heat on the arm, not the knuckle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Air chisel works good too but be careful. Told Anthony to beat off his when installing his lift and he nailed teh mounting stud and messed it up quite nicely. Had to cut part of the stud then run a dye down it to fix the threads
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 04:18 PM

soak it, stick a puller on it then work a brace under it somehow that you can whack real good with a hammer.... just dont pop urself while trying to do it. or go buy one of those fork seperators and pound it in an itll slip right off
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 05:10 PM

If its any consolation, it took 7 hours of pounding and soaking to get the steering arm off my 72. I also used a little heat, but be careful because the ball joint is real close and doesnt like the heat. I used a chisel to seperate the steering arm from the knuckle, front to back, the cone washers are realy hard to get out, but they will come.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if all else fails do what i did cut it apart. buy lots of grinding bits and sawzaw blades though it will take a while and dont cut the knuckle. Good luck hope it pops off
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 05:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OTC makes a pair of plies that removes the cones.
Smack each end a few times to unseat them and pluck them out.
remove the arm.
They are commenly used to remove the cones on semi axle shafts, which have the same size cones.
The last 2 arms I removed took less than 5 minutes.
I think I paid $15 for them off the Snap On truck.
But I suppose ya could save 15 bux and spend alot of time and energy getting it off.
The longest one has taken me was just over a 1/2 hr, it was realy on there.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Now the next question, when i got the truck it looks like someone tryed to take off the arm before and mess up one of the studs i bought a new stud from GM, but its the stud pressed in or threded in ?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've never had one out but my guess is it is threaded in and just use a pair of jam nuts to get it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode