Question about finding out gear ratio on axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 06:43 PM
87sm465np208

Question about finding out gear ratio on axle?

i have a quesiton, now ive heard that the gear ratio is stamped some ware on the axle, forgot where, if my rear axle blows up, i wanna be able to find another rear axle, wheater it be a 10 bolt or a 12 bolt 6 lug, where could i find out if it is 3.73 or if there was a way to visually inspect to see if it was possible to just spin somthing and count the reviloutions, but that sounds kinda hard, since im a small timer and havent had much experience with axles besides painting my rear axle cover while i had it off, and changeing my diff lube, and changeing out axles at school, and how much of it is a bitch to take out an axle on a 10 bolt GOV-LOC diff carrier? because my rear axle seals are leaking beyond belief, and i would like to change them to be done with it leaking. thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Question about finding out gear ratio on axle?

For your leaks, the cheapest fix for now if you aren't going to replace your axles is to install offset seals. This will move the seal location on your axle a little to a location with no groove. If I remember correctly I had a special bearing that went with this seal for about $50. It's been a few years, got it at Napa. As for your axle ratio...while you have that cover off, mark a tooth on the ring gear and count the teeth until one full revolution, now do the same for the pinion. That will give you your ratio without just being in the ball park. Use a yellow grease marker or something, piece of cake and you won't spend much to seal it up. Axles won't cost too much to replace, but make sure you aren't going to upgrade to another axle before putting much into the one you have!
Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 01:02 AM
Mud in my Veins

that's the only sure way to do it... also many times the # of teeth are stamped on the side of the ring gear like "41-15" which is 41 ring teeth and 15 pinion teeth, which divides out to be 41/15=2.73. that is sometimes easier to see than the pinion teeth depending on how big the carrier is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:34 PM
87sm465np208

yea i know i have 3.73's im just curious if i goto the junk yard and find an axle, just to make sure it has the same ratio, but the cock in the butt is that if i want to get a 12 bolt 6 lug rear axle, that is the who reason i wanna know if they have a quick way to see what the ratio is. but waht i woud love to do is get full floating rear end and a dana 60 front, but i dont really need that, since the only wheeling i do around here isnt hard core, axle snaping fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode