torque converter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

torque converter?

I'm looking for a new torque converter for my 700 and would like to know some suggestions on what brands and applications would be best. I've also heard about and considered a hydraulic conversion to get rid of the electronics on the lockup feature if anyone knows info about that. Summit has a TCI Hi torque diesel converter for $269, B&M for $314, and JET for $316, PTC $275 for v8w/700 , Dacco 12" diesel converter $115, and Dacco super hauler for reg V8w/700 is $171.70. Any suggestions would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: torque converter?

I have a new 700 torque converter that was run for 2 weeks before I blew up the 700 again. I don't know what kind of crud is in it after the tranny let loose. You can have it for the price of shipping.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Can't Get Enough

It costs that much for a torque converter from those big name guys?? I paid 30 bucks for mine from a local auto tranny supply shop. Nothing fancy, but it works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Matt, your price is right but like you said there is no telling what kind of crud got in there when the tranny went out.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have a nonlock up in the tranny now and have to replace a bolt that sheared off in the converter. My brother said all but one bolt was loose and that one was sheared. I figured this would be a good time to swap in a lockup converter and get some of my fuel mileage back.

btw-Do any of yall know the length of the torque converter bolts i'll need?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure on length. The desiel has 6 bolts on it right? Mine is just 3. The bolts aren't really hat long. My guess would be 1" but that is just a guess.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Kendog454

What do Flowmasters on a diesel sound like???
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I've always compared the tone of my diesel as a combination of a classic chevy truck flowmatser tone mixed with the deeper tone of a mustang 5.0 w/o any echo. Most people don't recognize it as a diesel anymore. Its a one of a kind sound for sure. It doesn't make much exhaust noise at idle and is hardly noticeable over the engine but its very noticeable when on the throttle. It sounds really good stretched out in 2nd just before the up shift at around 50-55[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] and while at cruising speed as well.
There used to be a guy on here, tough-trucks, he said the flowmasters on his 6.2L k5 sounded like a pro stock drag car combined with a firetruck. He had alot more engine mods than me though.
I know the flows i have now are half full of carbon. they are noticeably quieter and don't seem as "loose" as ther used to be. I've been pondering swapping in one chambers but I have other things to tend to first like this converter problem[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

I found a torque converter from dacco/detroit transmission for $100w/exchange. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about dacco/detroit and their converters? I just don't want to limit my built tranny with a converter thats not on the same level[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] if there is such a thing in my case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode