What's special about a dually rear axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

What\'s special about a dually rear axle?

Okay, I know the D60 front of a dually has wider knuckles and hubs, to push the tires out more. So what's up with the rear axle? I know the 14FF's (73-77) and D70's (78 and up) the dually's ran are special. Narrower? Wider?

Always had the idea of running dually axles under a K5 or K10 with cut outs and larger backspacing rims to make up for the wider(?) axles. Around here you can find a 4x4 K30 dually without to much trouble, but K30 SRW's are rare. Just trying to get answers to one of my questions about the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 01:38 PM

Re: What\'s special about a dually rear axle?

I believe it's just the brake drums that set them back. If you look at a dually, the little hub that the shaft bolts to sticks out almost double the amount that it does on a single rear wheel truck. I believe the housing and axle shafts are the same, just the hub and brake drum are offset in farther.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 01:42 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I could swear that I talked about this on another thread just last night, but I couldn't find it, so I'll do it again[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. The Dually 14b FF, from what I understand, is the same width as the SRW one, the diference, as WIllis said, is in the brakes. The Cab/Chassis one is narrower, when converted to SRW it is about the right size for a Jeep. The SRW and DRW D60 are the same axle excpt for the hubs, the DRW one has the stud flanges much farther out, and the rotor is bolted onto it back where the SRW wheeel seating surface is. A machine shop can convert DRW hubs to SRW hubs for about $150 to $200 per. Knuckles are the same for SRW and DRW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 02:46 PM
Mud in my Veins

shaggy, ajm just made a new thread. the original question was on "10 bolt to 12 bolt" or something like that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shaggy is right about the 14 bolt being the same size SRW or DRW (assuming it's not from a cab/chassis). The Dana 70HD used in the dually pick ups is much wider than a regular rear axle, like almost 11" wider! They are cool because they are BIG (4" axle tubes!) but without narrowing it I think it would be way too wide.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'am pretty sure the hubs on the rear are different from SRW and DRWs. The brakes are different also. The drums may be wider. I have a SRW 14 bolt with an Arrowcraft rear dually kit. Also have a 2" spacer between the rear wheels. All of their parts are steel and very well made. My tires are 38.5/11.5/16 Super Swamper Boggers. Have had this setup for over two years with no problems. Been run hard off road in the Florida swamps. The fronts are the factory DRW hubs. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:59 PM

All I got to add is that hummer rims are supposed to work good with dually axles; and welcome CRUE_CAB to the board.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 11:04 PM

Yes, welcome aboard, as the mascot I feel I should welcome you [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Anyway, I saw your name and thought we had another crew cab long bed guy besides me once again, but then I read your profile [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. Sounds like a nice rig though, kind of like the burban in ttc 2001.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 06:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I happen to have one of each, a SRW and DRW, 14blt. The axles are the same length on each. That makes the overall length the same on both. The DRW drums are almost 2x deeper, and set in further. THis means that the tubes are shorter. The hub/spindles do stick out through the center of the wheel further on DRW than on SRW's. I suppose you could put SRW drums on a DRW to make it narrower, but you'd still have to have the shafts cut down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode