New truck and engine idea's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

New truck and engine idea\'s

Hey everyone-

Well, I know this is the SFA forum but I know most of the people in here are regulars and know more than the IFS forum guys.

Anyway, I AGAIN...just bought another truck. This time it is a 1989 GMC reg-cab dually. Just so you all know its a 2wd and the reason I bought it is to haul my Pull Truck around next season. Anyway, the truck had a 454 in it untill the guy I bought it from pulled it out and dropped in a 355 built small block hopeing to get better fuel milage which turned out he got the same as before. Anyway the reason that was is because it has a TH400 trany in it. I don't mind the power of the 355 but I don't like only having a 3-speed. I am thinking about putting in a 5-speed. I can get a 2wd NV4500 for $750 and that is with the belhousing and linkage and all the goodies.

So I was thinking as long as I am putting in the trany why not drop a big block back into so I can get the torque back up for putting my 9000Lbs truck and trailer next year. I started thinking about a 454 but an EFI one is hard to get for less than 2K and I will land up spending that on rebuilding an older motor. All I want is torque and a good solid motor.

Then I really started thinking....I have a 1989 366 tall block truck motor I used as a mock-up motor for the puller. The motor is in mint shape and has no wear on it at all. It has 4 rings on the pistons instead of 3 like most BBC's and has a compression ratio of 8:1. These motors are stronger than a car or light truck big block but the HP#'s are down but have more torque than a 454.

I also was told that up here in Ontario you can get your car or truck classed as a hot rod if it doesn't have a motor that could have come from the factory in it. There for I could run the 366 and keep it carberated and not have to worry about emissions. Doesn't sound to bad to me!!!

Also because of the lower compression ratio and having a bullet prof long block I was thinking about adding a turbo or two. I have read that is easier to add a turbo to a carbed motor because the carb will adjust fuel to the incomming air CFM....anyone know if thats true?

I ran the motor thru my desk top dyno program and came up with 435 Ft/Lbs of torque at idle and it stays above 450 until 4800 RPM [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] HP wise its a steady rise from 250 at idle to 445 at 4800 rpm.

Doesn't sound to bad for a 366!!!

Anyway, what do you all think of that for a towing motor/truck?

thanks....Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 01:25 PM

Re: New truck and engine idea\'s

Well, the 5speed sounds like a good idea for a tow rig, might save you from burning trannies up when hauling your comp. rig.

Turbo's and carbuerators don't mix very well. If you're set on a turbo, go EFI.

Or go diesel. With all the work and research it would take to get a turbo to work efficiently with a big block, you could probably find a smashed old model dodge with a cummins and a NV4500.

Just tossing some ideas out, and you should call your insurance agent and see if there is a cut of on GVW where you don't need emissions. In vancouver, if your over 5000Kg and under 5500kg you don't need to pass emissions and aren't classed commercial unless you exceed the 5500kg limit. Never heard about the hot-rod thing before, maybe its an eastern thing [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:39 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: New truck and engine idea\'s

Oy, you and finding good deals......................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode