NP208 question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

NP208 question

First of all, I'm new here. I have my K5 blazer for some time now but did not really use it for what it is made for. Wheeling. I thought it was about time I did so I am building the thing up a bit. Still alot of work to be done. Some things I like, some things I must (getting the same gear ratio front and rear is one). But anyways, I won't bother you with too much bla bla and yadda yadda (or the other brands of cars I have, trust me you would not like me for it).

So here is the question. I have a NP208 under the rust bucket and I have been told alot of things about it. Both good and bad. I know it ain't the strongest case, but till it blows, it stays under. What I like to know (from people who really know, eerhhr you guys) are the pro's and con's of this thing, and how do you shift it? Some say I have to put the tranny in N and stand still, others tell me I can shift while even driving 70MPH from 2h to 4h as long as the hubs are locked. (done that to a car I used to own and it is the reason why I USED to own it.)

But in the end, I find this site very cool and wish I found it sooner.

Best Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:10 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: NP208 question

Up to 30 mph you can shift it from 2HI to 4HI and back again. You want to do it when there is slack in the drivetrain. In other words, when you're maintaining a steady speed or if you're accelerating you want to let off the pedal and shift it before compression braking kicks in.

4LO you have to be stopped. Ideally, you'll slide it in with the transmission in neutral and foot off the brake.

Oh yeah, the biggest problem with the NP208 is it hangs underneath like a boat anchor. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if it was cast iron but it's made out of aluminum. Mine hangs down so far it's almost the lowest thing on my truck, it hangs at the same height as my axle tubes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like my 208... well, I have a 241 now but essentially the same thing. It is quite large and the chain drive isn't the strongest item. The nice thing about the 208 is it has a 2.6:1 low range were as the 205 has a 1.9:1 low range (241 has a 2.7:1) and it is lighter if you are going for that aspect. I have broke one 208 in my time but that was stupidity [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Kendog454

Does the transfercase still turn when driving down the road in 2hi? Not the front shaft, but are there things in there that rotate? I ask because my buddies tcase is fresh outta fluid and I was just wondering about it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:11 PM

if there wasnt anything turning, you wouldnt be moving[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
yep,the input and rear output turn, i dont know how many moving parts that entails, but id say a few bearings would be getting loose.Put the jacobs treatment and some good oil and hope for the best without a teardown.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Kendog454

I shifted my 241 in my old GMC into 4HI at 75 mph on the freeway!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 05:16 PM
87sm465np208

i like it, i got a sm465\np208 combo, i draged the t-case on a grass hump once, REALLY HARD and could of riped it open, but it survivived [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], i bought a T-case skid plate the next day from a junk yard, wasnt the right one, but i had to drill alittle bit, and it fit, no more draging it on the ground for me. i wouldnt abuse it, and i dont belive in shift on the fly 4wd, i stop mine and shift it into all ranges, i like it tho, just keep it full, should provide you with a nice service life [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode