what carb to get or what to do - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what carb to get or what to do

I have a 454 with performer intake,roller rockers, headers, and maybe running nos 175 shot. Well any way i bought a 850 holley double pumper for my new rebuilt moter and have had nothing but problems. I have had a couple of backfires through it while i was doing the timing. Someone told me i blewout my powervalve. what is that do. Also i am not so good at adjusting it. But my friend adjusted and when i take it wheeling it stalls alot when i hit bumps hard. Also it doesnt hold an idle well. So should i try to take it to someone to adjust it better or something. Or should i get another carb. My friend has an edlebrick and loves it, he has a 350 in a jeep with 44s and it barely stalls. I also saw the holly truck advenjer how is that and do they make one that can handle a big block. The ones i see advertised are only like 600 cfm. thanks for the help. Ps what fuel pressure should i be running at. I have a holley electric fuel pump as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what carb to get or what to do

If you decide to just replace the carb, I'd personally choose a Demon Carb, they've outperformed Holleys in all the tests I've seen. I thnk they'er machined from a solid chunk of billet aluminum, for precision. All demon carbs have sight glasses in the float bowls too. They've also pretty much made the adjustments idiot-proof, or so my cousin told me when he put one on his Mustang. He replaced a Holley, that drooled fuel, and his gas mileage went up by about 2-3 mpg with the new Demon. It was the same CFM as the Holley too.

Here's their website:

http://www.barrygrant.com/demoncarbs/index2.htm

Good luck, and happy hunting for your fix.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Mud in my Veins

Put a Quadrajet on. Make more power, run at any angle almost like it's fuel injection, gets better gas mileage, and you can get them in good shape for $50 from any junkyard. Learn to rebuild and tune them yourself and you've got a lifetime supply of dirt cheap carbs. By far the best 4x4 out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:46 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I have the Performer on my truck and I love it. It needs some mods to make it run well when it's on angles, but they're pretty easy to do. It gets great mileage and is real easy to tune.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree on the q-jet. They work better off road than anything other than fuel injection. If you don't want to rebuild one, the Edelbrock Spread bore is the only 'New' Q-jet available. They work the same and should be set close out of the box. You can get all your specs and send one off to someone like Jones Performance Carb's or many others, and they will rebuild/modify to your specific needs. Q-jets could flow up to about 800 cfm in stock form for some applications.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:52 AM
ratlover

First off I think that a 850 is too big. How many rpm are you planning on turning? Second I would recomend going with a vac secondary carb, this is an auto tranny right? Neither of those things would cause the problems you are describing....it wont run optimum but it will still run ok. I am going to run a 750 edelbrack on my 454(its been punched out and has headers, and edelbrack air gap, good size crane cam and merlin heads as well as 10.25 compression). I would think that a 750 edelbrack performer would be a good choice for you. An old qget is also a good carb if you get them running right. What kind of intake manifold do you have? I assume you have some sort of squarebore manifold? Demon are nothing more than holley carbs that are made by barry grant, they use holley design and parts(the only thing that wont swap back and forth is the bowls and the fule inlet line) I have heard of many people complaining of the BG carbs having issues with quality controll, people get some carbs and they work just as good as a regular holley, some times they get ones that are junk....The demons look sweet but you tune one the same as a holley 4150 design(or a dominator if you run the king demons) IMO there is no reason to get a custom carb built.

If you want to save money I would just get someone to tune your motor that has some experience. If you have a spreadbore manifold using a qget would work well. If you have a squarebore manifold(or want to change manifolds) I would use an edelbrack performer(probably a 750). Holleys are kind of finicky carbs but can be made to run well if tuned right. Is it a 4150 model?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:00 PM
ratlover

What mods are you talking about? The "offrad seat"? I bought that and installed it(easy and cheap BTW) Havent run it yet and actually never had a problem with an edelbrack offroad but I never did much with my edelbrack that wasnt flat. I just figured it was cheap and easy to do before I put the carb on. What do you think before and after?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 01:47 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Yup, the offorad needles and seats and the float adjusment that is described in the instructions for the needles and seats. I think I may have done something else to it also, but I can't seem to remember what it was. Before the mod the carb would load up real bad if I stopped on the face of a dune at Pismo, it would restart only if I held the accelerator to the floor. Afterwards it runs great, I haven't had any problems with it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:10 PM
ratlover

Cool[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I figure now was the time to yank them out if it was a gimick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode