Hello... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 04:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello...

I'm going to be buying a truck in the next while so I'm going to be trying to learn what I can about them b4 I get it. So I guess I'm saying I hope you guys don't mind me asking a few dumb questions for a little while 'till I learn.

So here's the first one, I know what the k/c 1500,2500,3500 all mean as well as gvwr and a couple of others but could you please tell me what a few other abbrv. are? ex. 14bff, k5.
Oh and possibly add what they do for your truck as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 09:01 AM

Re: Hello...

14bff = 14 bolt full floating rear axle. It's one of the strongest rear ends out there and is very desireable to us 1 ton swappers.

14bsf = 14 bolt semi floating rear axle. It's a 3/4 ton axle that is stronger than a 10 bolt but not as strong as a 14 bolt FF.

10 bolt = 10 bolt rear axle used in 1/2 ton trucks, basically good for a heavy paper weight.

The "bolt" term is used to describe the axle by how many bolts hold the differential cover on.. Count your cover bolts and thats what rear axle you have in a Chevy.

k1500 = 1/2 ton 4wd

k2500 = 3/4 ton 4wd

k2500hd = 3/4 ton heavy duty 4wd

k3500 = 1 ton 4wd

c1500 = 1/2 ton 2wd

c2500 = 3/4 ton 2wd

c2500hd = 3/4 ton heavy duty 2wd

c3500 = 1 ton 2wd

z71 = option package for 1/2 ton 4wd's that includes a few extra skid plates and bilstein shocks at each corner, oh and a cool sticker[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

ps = power steering

pl = power locks

pw = power windows

tw = tilt wheel

srs = supplimental restraint system (air bag)

k5 = 1/2 ton blazer manufactured from 69-91

zr2 = off road package like the z71 but for s10's

454ss = 2wd 1/2 ton truck built with a 454 and 14 bolt semi floating rear end that was produced in the early 90's.

anything else just ask

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Can't Get Enough

Actually, the number of bolts being refered to on GM corporate axles refers to how many bolts hold the ring gear to the carrier. It just happens to be the same number used to hold the diff cover on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:07 AM

Well, see, I have heard that too. But then on a 14 bolt FF the ring gear is only held on with 12 bolts? So I got confused[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 12:10 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">That is correct, the number of "bolts" is the # holding diff cover on... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Or sometimes I'll refer to it by ring gear size... 14bff = 10.5" ring gear, 14bsf = 9.5" (i think) ring gear and 10 bolt = 8.5 ish " ring gear...

[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sometimes heavy duty 3/4 tons won't be labelled HD, but you can tell by presence of 8 lugs holding wheels on and presence of 8600# GVWR... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] They make a light version of 2500 series (3/4 ton) also... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I think is 7500# GVWR or there abouts, 6 lugs, etc... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

New trucks the HD version has an HD designation... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

That's my understanding of it anyhow...</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode