Deuce-and-a-half Transfer Case Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Deuce-and-a-half Transfer Case Question

I have a chance to buy a duece transfer case (NSN 2520-00-001-7855) but don't know if it's worth doing. I know it is divorced, has the front input driveshaft, and a driveline brake. My NP208 behind a TH400 is sounding bad and I'd like to find an NP205. I've heard of 2.5 ton t-cases being used as doublers but don't know if this thing would work. I'l hopefully be getting a new driveline and have plenty of length to add one (truck is a longbed). Mostly curious but if someone has any experience with them, thanks.

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 07:56 PM

Re: Deuce-and-a-half Transfer Case Question

Arent they air shifted?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 03:07 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Deuce-and-a-half Transfer Case Question

more than likely they will be air shifted, but there are several different models that came in "2.5 ton" trucks so you might get lucky. most are so big that you'd have trouble getting it under there without a body lift, but i'm sure it's been done, though the 203/205 double probably makes more sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the sense....

I checked it out in person. HUGE and air shifted. I think I'll start looking for a 203 that mates to a TH400 then a 205. It sure seemed like a good deal, glad I asked and looked.

Bryan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:42 PM

Re: Thanks for the sense....

AHHHHHHHHHHHH One of my dream vehicles in life is an M35A2 2.5 ton with the cargo bed and guess what, 2 blocks away an auto a/c shop has one out front for sell with every option I wanted[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. Worst part is it came right when I have no money and it just had a re-power done and he wants hardly anything for it, sigh...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

They go for pretty cheap here in Hawaii. Problem is, it would cost too much to ship back. Bummer. I agree, they'd be fun to own.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 12:52 AM

This one is completely repowered and painted with a cat diesel for 2500[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img].

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 01:12 AM

C'mon Jason, buy it! You know you wannnnnna.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 01:23 AM
Mud in my Veins

WOW, did he repower it or is it military work? i read somewhere that the military was slowly replacing all the old white diesels with Cats, which engine is it exactly? i've been thinking about a deuce lately too, because it's big, badass, and will pull anything. fast? no. but i could build any offroad vehicle i wanted and just drive that beeotch up on the flatbed and head to the trail, no big deal. i cant figure out why they are limited to 55 mph though? is that because of the gearing, tires, what? i like the 5 tons that have 6 ~48" michelins instead of 10 DOT tires... looks WAY meaner and 4 less tires to mess with. i'd probably drop the middle axle out too, especially if i got the 5 ton version, because it'd help gas mileage and then i'd only have 4 tires to mess with [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] they are cheap as a mah****a on govliquidation.com but i dont even know if they run... most of them have been classified as "unservicable or uneconomical to service" so i dont know if it'd be worth buying. they are very badass trucks though, no doubt about it!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 02:03 AM

Yeah, I would love one, and first thing I would do is put the Michelins on it[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Yay, I just found the add in the paper for it, appears that it is a 5 ton... It has the pto winch and everything in front. Not sure on actual engine part #. I havent talked to the guy that has it for sell, I just saw it sitting there on Sunday and looked it over. I had to mop up the drool though... Man, I wish I had the cash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode