Front GM 10 Bolt Axle Rebuild Help Needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Front GM 10 Bolt Axle Rebuild Help Needed

Rebuilding the front axle on my ranch truck. I have a chiltons and GM manuals but would like a better breakdown of the axle and hubs. Anybody know where to look on the net or other? Thanks for the help

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Front GM 10 Bolt Axle Rebuild Help Needed

Well, I don't know of one. I looked for sources but found nothing. I'm going to finish rebuilding my front axle sometime this year. As far as I got was the rotors over Labor Day.

However, they're pretty simple.

Hubs:
Get a cookie sheet and disassemble the hubs. It's not rocket science and if you set them down in the order you took them apart then it's real easy to take apart and reassemble. The hardest part is getting the big long coil clip on and off while holding the spring in the hub. You can "roll" the coil clip on and off with a fingernail while holding the spring with the other hand. The rest is just remembering how it goes together.
Yank a caliper and hang it off the axle.
Pull the rotor and hub (hooked together) off. The rotor and hub are sandwiched together using the lugs pressed into the hub. You can yank the wheel bearing races out with a press.

Front axle:
Pretty much just a rear axle without c-clips. I recommend to anyone doing this that they definitely replace universals even if they look good. I know mine are shot. And I know most everyone's I've seen unless they have to expensive greasable ones have wore out universals too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode