New guy here! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New guy here!

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce me and my Suburban. My name is Bob and I bought a 1987 V1500 Sierra Classic Suburban a few weeks back. She needs some work, but overall not bad and I drive her daily now. I've replaced the fuel tank (40 gal), fuel lines, sending unit and pump, and mounted a set of 32x11.5's I picked up cheap. I'm looking for good resources for body parts (need tailgate, and doors, and fenders inner and outer), and I am contemplating installing a suspension lift, a 2" kit with 4 new springs, shocks, and hardware. The folks at Rough Country quoted me about $600 plus shipping. Comparing to prices of stock replacemant leafs, this seems reasonable to me. Any input? I'm wondering if a 4" is a better option, it's the same price, but I don't want to deal with vibration, etc. and also think it might look dumb with the 32" tires. The Sub will be mostly street driven until I find some good spots to four wheel, and also learn how to four wheel! This is only my 2nd 4wd, the first was a 96 Dakota that I was scared to take off road because it was brand new. Needless to say I like the Sub much better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 09:13 PM

Re: New guy here!

Well all the guys are gonna tell you 4 inch is better because of course it is for your money, but im dumb, gonna get some stock 3/4 ton springs on my 1/2 ton truck, run some ZeroRates all around, and pack some 33s in the fenders, MNorby has a 4 icnh and he likes it
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

for $600 I wouldn't waste on a 2" lift. Go with at least a 4". I did 4" at first now I wish I did 6". For the money I would buy 4" front springs from either Tough Country or BDS then eithe rhome-make or buy a shakleflip from ord (www.offroaddesign.com) to raise the back 4" and use the factory springs if they are in good shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Couple of more questions..please bear with me, this will be my first lifted vehicle. The rear springs are shot, also, so I will definitely replace them. Are the Rough Country kits a good quality? Also, mnorby, was there any driveline vibration after the install, and does the truck go thru u joints often? Once a year I'd be willing to chage the joints, but the vibration I'd rather not deal with. Thanks for your help and patience!

Bob
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 03:30 PM

hey matt,

how much drive shaft did you have left after the 4inch? I'm considering a 4inch lift right now, but i want all my ducks walking together before i tear her apart. What about brake line extenders?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

at first I did have slight vibes but then I did a t-case drop and have no vibrations at all. My slip yoke is pulls out some but it works ok. The t-case drop is very easy. Just put a jack under the crossmemebr then take the 2 bolts out on each side then on top the frame is a 1" spaces. Put that spacer between frame and the crossmember. I can take pics if needed. The t-case drop does effect front drive line but I haven't had a prob with it. Remember, mine is a short wheelbase truck. Longbeds and subs probably won't have half the problems with drivelines that K5's and shortboxes have.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 04:38 PM
Resurrection_Joe

With the long rear shaft in the suburban, I doubt you'll need to change it or do anything with it really with just a 4" lift. I do believe between 4" and 6", my preference being the 4", is the perfect amout of lift, with retooling by body lifts and or fender trimming and or zero rates you can fit almost any tire you'd want!

Personally I have the 4" rough country, I like the front springs a lot, as thats all I have from them, and they are suprisingly flexy and smooth for the price. I've heard good things about Tuff Country and BDS also.

Good luck! With a little lift and some good mud tires you can really wail. Lock the rear and scrap the swaybar and you've really got something!

Hey congrats on showing up here, you are one of the few new members to be a honest and friendly one!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the kind words and advice, Joe! I had been searching for a while for a forum like this. I think with all the advice I've collected, I'm going for the four inch. I talked to a guy at work today who installed the Rough Country 4" on his 86 shorty, and he said he has no vibration probs. So I agree, the longer shaft in the Sub should not present a prob. The folks at Rough Country told me that the spring mounts are tapered in the rear to set the driveline angle close to what it was, so that'll help, too. I imagine all the lifts are like this. As asked by someone else, are longer brake lines required? I still think those 32's are gonna look funny under a 4 inch, but tires were made to be worn out, right? Also, I'd like to offer my help to anyone in the RI area (if anybody) who needs general machining or welding done. I'm not saying for money, just to help and swap advice and so forth.

Thanks again for your help guys!
Bob
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:38 PM

Hey, I'm in cali but have a machining question. Do you run any cnc equipment? If so do you use conversational programming or mostly g codes? Also, what cam software do you run?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Rhode Island? Hehehehe, never had one from there I believe...

Anywho cool welding and machining?! WEEEE! I can barely melt together tube to make flatbeds and tube doors, but I still love it!

Oh here's a picture of my truck on SEVEN inches of lift and 32" tires, not all that bad really... Or no.... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 885372-Open Door.jpg (36.4 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode