Head opinion for '89 TBI 350???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Head opinion for \'89 TBI 350????

I need some opinions for a better set of heads and roughly what they would cost. I have a freshly rebuilt '89 TBI 350 with the following mods:

jet chip
march pulleys
jacobs ignition
comp cams rv cam (don't have cam card in front of me)
performer rpm intake
long-tube headers w/ 2 1/4" collectors
gibson 3" exhaust
1/2" TB spacer
1/8" TB injector spacer

I heard the heads off the 90-92 vette would be a good choice as they are lighter and flow a lot better, but want some more opinions, plus would like to get an idea on cost. My burban has decent power, but I know with some better-flowing heads it will run a lot better! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 11:39 PM
sayl4u

Re: Head opinion for \'89 TBI 350????

Im going to try the vortec heads on my 92 in the next 6-months or so.They are around $500 at the local dealer!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 08:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First of all, watch out for the underdrive pulleys, they can run ya a little hot for turning that water pump slower, or are you getting the high cooling pulley? I picked up a bit of power by installing dual 16" electric fans and canning the clutch fan.
I would lean toward the vortech truck heads if going with used heads. Might check out what World products has to offer, or Dart. I have been very happy with my s/r torqeurs since putting them on. If you are putting this in a suburban I would not use the Performer rpm, but the plain old performer. You would lose bottom end torque, which is very much needed in such a heavy truck. Unless you have a lot of gear, which can get your revs up quickly. What cam are you using? Why don't you send an email to Charles at camcraftcams.com and see what he has to say on your rebuild. I have been thrilled with his attention to my projects. He replies quickly, and will give you guidance on other things to help that cam work. Don't get too exited about hi-flow with a heavy truck and lose torque. What do ya do with this truck? That is the big question.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The GM Vortec heads are a good choice for the money.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm wondering what type of pistons you have? If your engine has flat top pistons, then maybe a set of heads with 76cc's would be a good idea.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Usually a 350 with flat top pistons and 76cc heads will have about a 9:1 compression ratio.
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode