10 bolt front hubs/wheel bearings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

10 bolt front hubs/wheel bearings

OK, how tight are you supposed to put the nut on? We're talking about old bearings/races.

My book said to torque it to 50lbs (probably to set the bearings in their races), loosen, and then retorque to 35lbs. It then said in order to get the washer to line up to loosen it no more than 3/8 of a turn. Well, I loosened to about 3/16 and 1/4 of a turn to get the pin to go in the washer. I then torqued the jam nut on to 110lbs even though the manual said 150lbs or something astronomical like that. I figured I'd put it pretty tight since I took both my jam nuts off with a 4" screwdriver.

Anyway, my hubs got hot on the way to yooperville. About half way through the 250 mile trip they were still warm but not hot. They never got really hot, they just got hot enough where after 10 seconds or so they were uncomfortable to hang on to. The grease on the outside of the hubs never turned to liquid though.

To be honest I'm not sure if the hubs got hot because of too tight of bearings or because of lightly rubbing brakes. I put new pads and rotors on and the piston side of the caliper was a bit tight (just a little more drag than I like) but seemed alright.

Anyway, I plan on buying a new hub socket (I forgot mine) and tearing the hubs back apart this weekend to see if i toasted a bearing or race. Should I expect damage? If so, how hard are the races to get out with a hammer? I usually use a press to do bearings..

I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions. I'm beginning to think we should have done it like a car rather than listening to what the manual said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 04:35 PM

Re: 10 bolt front hubs/wheel bearings

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>They always get pretty hot, there's alot of friction going on inside of there... I don't think you have anything to worry about.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 05:35 PM
87sm465np208

the way i do it, i tighten it by all the way with a wrench, then back it off, then tighten it by hand as hard as i can, then i take the trusty lock washer and see if it lines up with the notch on the 1st hub nut, then you should be good to go, then tighen the other hub nut on there, then reinstall yur hub on there and so on.. hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

They're wheel bearings for Pete's sake.. they shouldn't get that toasty should they? On 2wd cars and trucks the tires got more warm than the "hubs" as long as the brakes weren't being used..

I mean, mine have always gotten warm but not that warm. I never checked them after a long drive before though. Usually in the winter time they never even get warm enough to melt the snow off them.

I think I'm still going to pull it apart and at least see if the grease got hot and separated though..

Yes, I'm paranoid. hehe.

Thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode