Bad weekend, very bad. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Bad weekend, very bad.

OK, I went to a lake in New Mexico with some friends and took the truck for a little playing on the beaches. Lots of sand and some mud to romp in. Well, got there saturday, 6 hours late. Had to change a wheel cylinder on the right rear. Had great brakes after that. Good. Got there with out incedent. 5:30 AM sunday morning, guys knocking on tent asking to be pulled out. Got in truck and acelerator cable broke. Just replaced it a few monthes ago. Bad #1. Got it fixed with some 16 guage wire with insulation stripped. Good. Got stuck bad trying to free F150. Another crewcab and s-blazer pull me out. we got the Super Crew out using both crewcabs chained to each other. Good. Accelerator cable fix breaks later in the day. Bad #2. fixed it better than before and go play some more. Get stuck trying to pull a Z71 out of the mud. Bad #3. Call in a Deuce and a Half to winch me out. Frame rail at right front gets bent out by 3 inches. Bad #4. Leaf spring is now angled outward on the right and axle is crooked. I also blew the right front off the bead. Bad #5 and then the tire tore off a brake line. Bad #6. I then had to drive back to El Paso(1.5 hours each way) to get my extra lines I had at the house. Glad I didn't sell them like I wsa going to. I have to wait until my friend develops his film to get pictures of this crappy weekend. Now i have to figure out how to straighten the frame and then probably box a few sections. Guess i will rebuild the whole front end and shorten the wheel base now. Hate it when things go bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:18 PM
87sm465np208

Re: Bad weekend, very bad.

wow, that sucks alot, maybe try butting your truck up to a building and having a bud in his truck hit you to straigh'n out the frame, i dunno, its just a tired guess, good luck tho, and i hope your next weekend is better then this one.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:56 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Ouch, that sounds like a bad weekend all right.

BTW, how does one go about knocking on a tent?[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:15 AM

That sucks bad, body damage is fine, but frame damage is serious. Good luck in whatever you need to do to get the rig on the road again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Well, as of now the whole front clip has been removed. It was eisier than I thought it would be. Took about 2.5 hours by myself. I need to drain the radiator and remove it, then I am going to atempt to use two HiLfts to pull it back together. I will probably need to use a torch to make it bend easier and maybe a T shaped brace going to the other frame reail to keep it from bending in insted of the other one bending. I will most likely be boxing the front of the frame somewhat and adding another cross member at the end of the frame. I will also take this period of down time to start my rear end relocation/bed removal. I found out I can move the spring hangers forward 22 inches with out having to cut the frame. Just remove the rivets in the hangers, make some acurate measurements, drill and bolt the brackets back in. Then i must find the new Sub tank and take care of all th other tid bits.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Hey Drat, too abd about that stuff best of luck!

If you feel liek it I can getcha some pics of how I dropped a 90 FI Van tank into my truck, involved chpping out a crossmember, which reminds me, I need lots more crossmembers to replace the lost strength.... EEP !
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 06:56 PM
BiGwHiTeJiMmY

damn rat im sorry to hear all that. havin some fun here at aTm.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

RJ, How many galons is that tank? I was considering a 40 gallon Sub tank to put between the rails.

Jimmy, Gald to hear you are still able to get on. Keep in touch while you are out there and have fun.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

RJ, How many galons is that tank? I was considering a 40 gallon Sub tank to put between the rails.

Jimmy, Gald to hear you are still able to get on line. Keep in touch while you are out there and have fun.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 09:03 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Im not sure I could figure it out with some canvesion tables. Take 33x33x14 inches ok thats cubic inches, now turn it into gallons. Its weird, but I knwo its 30+.

There's a few things about the van tank that are better than the burban or K5 tank, the seam is higher allowing the sinking of the tank itno the frame more and the filler is out the side and not on top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode