Beater Bashing in Beautiful BC - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Beater Bashing in Beautiful BC

Okay, I'm back. Here's what I've been up to:

Beautiful BC as seen from the top of Mount Thurston near Chilliwack lake. (camping around here for a couple days, was a nice hard 2wd trip up to the top of the mountain)

When I got back from camping I went wheeling with a couple guys from bc4x4.com to the Hut Lakes trails near Squamish BC.

Going up an easy part:

Again:

Getting a bit more difficult now:

Uh oh, the beater's getting beat by the trail:

Coming down the trench:

Coming down, nice and twisted up:

Should be some more pics later, and there's a couple more on my webshots.

The damage total was:

Both rockers smashed in
Two new dents in tranny x-member
Nice dent in passenger gas tank at the front corner (factory skid plates hahaha)
Dent on top edge of passenger fender, same plane as the hood (don't ask, cause I don't remember how I managed that one)
Dents on both doors about half way up
Miscellaneous small dents and scratches from the overgrown BC rainforests.

One of the best days of wheeling that I've ever had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Beater Bashing in Beautiful BC

Sweet! I should be going to BC to camp next summer with my In-laws. Wont get to take the truck though. Darn.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:51 PM
87sm465np208

i must say, VERY cool, that is awsome looking, do you have a skid plate on your t-case? just curious, and were you useing granny around that stuff?, looks hard, of corse im just used to crawlin up muddy hills and such, do you use granny in the mud, i tryed it once and lost forward momentum, and almost got stuck, it was a bad expreience of grinding reverese and back into 1st or granny, and i ground it into granny because i was neveious and wanted to get out, i eventually did, took a while, and alot of grinding, but i got out, truck was really muddy from me sawing the wheel back and fourth in an attempt at traction that worked. gotta love that sm465 gear box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 11:51 PM

awesome sidehill scenery, looks like a mega fun trailer, nice pics
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Drat, if you're near the lower mainland send me an email and I'll tour you around if your interested.

87, yeah there is a factory skidplate on the t-case. I find that the cross member takes more direct hits than the t-case would if it wasn;t protected. Granny never works for me in the mud. I would run 4hi and 1st(1,2,3,4) or 4low and 2nd if I ran much mud, but 265's and mud don't mix to well as you could imagine. For the terrain I cover I would NEVER trade my SM465 for an auto. I could have used lower gears than what I have for some of that stuff, but at least you never have to worry about a 465. That shift into 1st(lo) or Reverse is all about practice man, I could never hit the 2nd-1st downshift for a long time, but I finally figured out how in the last couple months (you gotta be going real slow, or rev the piss outta the motor).

Drey, that was probably the best camping spot I've seen in the way of 5thwheel access. The road was freshly graded, and 1/2mi down the road was the start of the
Mt. Thurston trail.

My 8 months in alberta sure made me realize how nice it is to live in BC, all things considered.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 09:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

When I find out where I will be going I will give drop you a line. Only met a couple people from CK5 and would like to get to know more of you guys(and gals).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 03:49 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Like I always say bud, you are an inspiration in the spartan attitude of wheeling, again, I congratulate you on your very wonderful pictures, gladja shared!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode