Repair Panels - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Repair Panels

Due to rust, I need to repair/replace a small portion of my lower quarter panel on my 80' truck bed directly behind the rear wheel. Does anyone know a source for a small repair panel to fix this area? The only thing I've been able to find so far replace the entire wheel arch or the entire lower quarter panel. I can cut one of these down and fit it if I have to but would prefer a cheaper and easier alternative.
thanks in advance,
AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 03:57 PM
87sm465np208

Re: Repair Panels

yep, bondo, i had an 80 2wd F-100, with an 300 I-6 and a 4 speed over drive, the only gears that worked in the tranny were 1st and 3rd, and reverse was gritty, and 2nd was gone, all it did was grind when you put it in when you were moving and od just didnt want to stay in there. in conclusion bondo, i wouldnt do it to my truck, because as long as my body is attached, im not concerned about body rust, other wise, because my truck gets dinged by stones and such, i like it because it gives it charactor [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 05:10 PM
logan_ut

87sm465np208, I'm sure if AJ wanted to use bondo he would. He's asking for a patch panel not a gallon of putty. As to your question AJ, I had the same rust problem in my '81. I contacted a local body shop and they said that they could order just that piece. I think it welded up right where the original molding is. I will try to contact the guy I talked to at the shop and ask him where he ordered it. I don't think the cost was much more than a rocker panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Did you use a shop up here in Logan?(if so who) If you could get me some info that would be great. The new bed is pretty clean except for the spots on either side where the rust ate from the inside out. I didn't even know it was rusted until I started sanding off the old paint. I used a air chisel and die grinder with a cut off wheel to remove the lower portion of the inner fender. I'm going to use a reinforcing bar as used in front of the tire and on newer pickups instead of installing a new inner fender. The inner fender traps dirt and moisture agianst the outside panel.(piss poor design)

Bondo is only used for very light surface filling and by people who don't know how to use a torch, welder, and a body hammer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:21 AM
logan_ut

Yea, on my truck they fixed that area before I got it but didn't drill out the inner fender so all it did was rust again [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. I was going to fix it the same way you did but I sold it before I got to it. The shop is actually in Pocatello, where I'm from. I didn't get off until after 5 last night so they were gone. I'll try to get ahold of them today for you.

**I just found this site, I think they have what you are looking for too.

http://www.autobodypanels.com/pp/che.../CP73-87d.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:42 PM

Have you looked through an LMC truck catalouge yet?
www.lmctruck.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should be able to find a small local body shop and have them order you a good quality replacement piece. When getting your local shop to order it, they won't have to pay freight in most cases. I just ordered a good quality bumper for an s-10 for only about $75 from my neighborhood shop and no shipping. Deliveries are made to him once a week from a warehouse a few hours away that make the rounds to the body shops in the region. For your application the cheap parts should work fine, but beware the cheap ones for a fender, etc where you actually want the bolt holes to line up.
As for LMC, they are great, but I wouldn't buy a replacement panel/ patch panel from them unless it is hard to find as they are rather expensive. Pleasant folks though, and I like doing business with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode