350 tbi is acting funny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:58 PM
87sm465np208

350 tbi is acting funny

my 87' 350 tbi dosnt want to fast idle anymore when i turn it on after it sits over night, and when i start it it will stumble and stall, and then i will start it again, hold it at about 1000 rpm and drive it around for a while and it will run fine, it is just not idleing fast (1200 rpm) in the morning, somone help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 06:36 PM
87sm465np208

Re: 350 tbi is acting funny

someone said it was the IAC, but this is starting to piss me off, i put a heat riser hose on it, it never had one before, and it starting doing it shortley there after, could it be that?>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 07:05 AM
427jimmy

when My IAC went it would stumble and stall everytime I came to a stop. If I was on the throttle it worked fine. I can't see a heat riser hose doing that. Hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 03:42 PM
87sm465np208

thanks, i took off some connections and cleaned them, and it does "warm itself up" now where is the iac, and how much did it cost?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 07:26 PM
87sm465np208

yea, im gunna test the IAC today, mine is showing somewhat similer symtoms that yours had, dude at the autozone by me, he knows his stuff, he gave me the low down, told me what to do, if it is, i will let everyone know, but thanks for the info.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 05:56 AM
RolngThun

Have you checked the engine temp sensor for the computer? This sensor tells the computer the engine is cold so the computer will enrichen.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 02:27 AM
427jimmy

Engine coolant temp gauge is good. I have a stage 2 chip and an 85 degree thermostat, It runs about 1/3 of the way between 40 and 70. What is the ideal temp? Can I take the clutch fan off to make it run hotter?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 06:58 PM
RolngThun

The temp sensor for the guage is different then for the computer.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 02:12 AM
87sm465np208

heya, guess what, it was my IAC, went and bought a new one today, and put it on, wow, what a differnce in warm up, acctually works right now, i was so happy, im glad autozone had one, the old one was carboned up really bad and stuck in one position. yea im probly gunna reattach the heat riser hose.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't want your truck to run 'hotter' if you have a stage2 chip. It is programmed to work with the 185 thermostat. If you want to run the 190 thermostat then you will probably need the stage1 chip, which is programmed to run with the stock thermostat. Is your temp gauge accurate? Might want to check it. If you want to run it hotter and pick up a bit of power, replace the fan clutch assembly with an electric fan set up with an adjustable temp switch. That should allow you to run the 180 that you are seeking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode