Wierd electric problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 01:56 PM
427jimmy

Wierd electric problem

I've had a wierd electrical problem for a while on my 90 jimmy and I can't figure it out. When I put the brakes on the front and rear marker lights come on, the instrument cluster lights come on, and the headlight warning beep comes on. Makes no damn sense I checked for crossed wires behind the dash - nothing. I did find however not one but Two brake light switches. Both hooked up to thier own harnesses and the one that is just sitting in there has what appears to be a vacuum line coming off of it. Its just sitting up in there, not hooked to the pedal because there is no way It could be hooked up properly. Possibly the cruise control cut off?? Oh I must mention that I had a shop convert my jimmy from 4 speed auto to 4 speed manual. I was told by the shop that the cruise would not work with the manual. Funny thing is the power locks haven't worked since. This is some mess, any of you experienced guys have any ideas? Because me and the guys at the shop are dumbfounded and just don't know where to start
Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 02:14 PM

Re: Wierd electric problem

Do you happen to tow trailers? If so, do you have a t-adapter in your taillight wiring at the rear of the truck or one of those little plug in surge protectors back there? I had both in my old truck and they melted one day and when I pressed the brake everything came on just like yours. Also, pull out your taillights and make sure none of the contacts are melted and shorting.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah i had that melting thing happen too, except in my case only the reverse lights on back came on everytime i braked, some acidic stuff built up in my plug [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. if you don't have one than have fun looking for it, try disconnecting the brake pedal switch, if everyting is fine that way then just build your own brake light system, (power supply, switch, and hookup to the brake lights), thats what i would do if i was in your situation. (wires what a PITA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:08 PM
Pete

Jimmy
I had a similar problem with one of my trucks. When I hit the brake the instrument panel lites came on. It turned out to be the ground for the bed. I had checked it with an ohmmeter and it looked OK, but I got 12 volts from the frame to the bed when I hit the brake or turn signals. The 12 volts backfed thru the running lites and lit everything up. NONE of the 8 bolts holding the bed on gave me a ground! Strongly suggest a new ground wire. The other electrical problems may be related, but I doubt it.
Pete
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 07:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'll second the ground idea. That's exactly what I was thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode