OBA progress - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

OBA progress

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Making progress on the OBA setup, I have pretty much all the bugs worked ut, just have to get the compressor mounted on the engine. A guy from CK5 is giving me a mount that may be able to be adapted to work, if not I'll be fabbing something up in the coming weeks. Here's some pics of the plumbing that I put together last night.

Parts used

Intake assembly -

Filter assembly

Air Manifold assembly

Another of the Air Manifold assembly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OBA progress

how well do you think using a 12 volt electric motor will work to run a york compressor? I was givin a york that has an electric motor hooked to the side. I would have pics but the assebly is up at Joe's folks 10 miles from town. I figured use something like a Ford starter relay off teh batter then have a pressure switch for a 90-120 psi range. I have a tank from a semi truck too. I figured I would mount this in the front right corner of my bed between the toolbox and the bedside in front of the fender adn build a box to protect it. I would run a hose to the front of the track and to the rear then have quick couplers on them
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

<font color=green>Oasis Off-Road has a set up they sell that uses a 12v motor attached to a York. So long as the motor is strong enough to spinthe compresor at 1500 or so RPM than it should work fine. Gonna draw a hell of a load though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 01:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I probably ought a get my dual battery setup done first I imagine. The motor is quite large but I never did get it to run but I spent a wopping 2 min on it when I got it. It needs re-wired back first off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 03:01 PM

Make sure it's a 100% duty cycle motor. If it's a starter motor or something it will burn up if you run it more than a few minutes.

Looks good Shaggs, I'm still working on figuring where to mount mine too. My engine is pretty much covered from all directions with alt/ac/water pump/air pump/ps pump/blah blah blah.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 12:30 AM

Looks a lot cleaner than mine. I pulled all my popoffs, regulators, etc. off of a DRMO compressor that was being tossed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 01:48 PM
Mud in my Veins

hey shags, where'd you pick up all that stuff and how much have you spent so far? does anybody online sell those 10ci yorks pretty cheap? i went to a couple local yards and all the ones i could find were seized [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] i'm sure i'll find one eventually but it seems like somebody in the know about OBA would have a stockpile of these. onboardair.com sells them NEW for 190 but my budget for the whole project is $100 so that's out [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

<font color=green>Well, I got a hell of alot more than $100 into it by now. I got my York off of ebay for $30, it's from a '79 911. Why a 911 needed the biggest York, I do not know. The tank was from a truck wrecker, and a freind gave me another one so I have choices. All of the small parts came from Grainger and McMaster-Carr. I have around $300 into it now, but that includes alot of fancy stuff, like a oil coelescing filter that's nice, but not really required. Three gauges, all those brass fittings were pretty inexpensive though. I should have a complete parts list with part numbers and sources pretty soon. I have one now but it's not perfect yet, there are some things on it that I ended up not using.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Mud in my Veins

you ever get it all together? i finally got a York, i'm yanking the clutch tonight to see what CID it is... gonna figure out how to mount it tomorrow, then i'll order all the other junk that I have to have to make it work. the one pet peeve that i have is having to rev the engine up to get enough flow to make tools work, which the few OBA setups I've seen required. the problem enters when you consider that if I rig up a pulley to put the York at 2000 when my engine is turning 750, it's gonna be spinning that clutch awfully fast when I hit 5K on the tach, even though the compressor will be disengaged. I dont know if that would be bad or not, especially since the bearings will have mud in them, not grease [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

Take the belt off and keep it in the glove box until needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode