It's out of surgery and in the recovery room... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

It\'s out of surgery and in the recovery room...

I'm too sick today to do anything, but only thing left is stick the rear shaft in and fill the diff with lube. Need to get an alignment though and my appointment isn't till the 18th of next month[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. I did it myself since it's just toe by measuring the front and back of the tires but my dad doesn't trust me[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I bought everything to finish, gear lube and some misc. bolts, and it's waiting, just can't seem to drag myself out of bed[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. Cough cough cough weeeeeeezzzzzzzz....

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 06:43 PM

Re: It\'s out of surgery and in the recovery room...

Its looking good! So whats the deal with the 2 piece drive shaft? Im guessing it runs wiht the frame and then has a u joint to the one that connects to the diff, rite? Ive never looked at one of those. Anyways, hurry the hell up and get better so u can finish this baby!

Oh, and why haven't u started working on the cut-outs while u were waiting for all those parts? Just curious....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, well, I wish I was well too. The short shaft runs from back of the t-case to a crossmember where that carrier bearing with the mounting ears bolts too, then the long shaft bolts to the yoke on the axle and the slip slips onto the splines of the short shaft.

I haven't done the cutouts because, well, I was too busy to do anything that required a long time commitment like that. Between the last day I really worked on it before, and last week when I got started again I only had time to do little hour long jobbers here and there. I'll start the flares soon, just going to be an all day ordeal and with school going it's hard to have a full day to do it. Be kinda funny running around town with 3 big 'ol cutouts and one stock flare[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

get good side shots of the stock and cut out flares so one can tell how much more space is provided thanks to them. appreciate it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

P.S. youve been rolling that front left a little too much while it was still off, the sticker is already wearing off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 07:46 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I was a skeptic, but I must say it looks pretty good. Well, other than the fact you've got a couple months worth of California dust on it. hehe.

When you do cutouts, do one side at a time. No one will ever notice. I once ran my Sonoma with two different pairs of tires and wheels on each side for a couple days. No one knew. You can only see one side at a time anyway.

Anyway, it looks good.

By the way, do you have a stepladder to get in and out?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:56 PM

That thing looks great! By the way, you are 3 years and 1 day older than me, 8-3-85. So, what are the final specs, lift, gears, tires, anything else, like exhaust or something? Great job, I've been reading since about the beginning-middle of putting the axles under it. They are 1 ton, right?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

--Are they 1 ton? ARE THEY 1 TON?? Geesh, after all this time someone asks me if I would put 3/4 ton axles under any of my projects?[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

--It's not that tall, it's still 2" under the caliornia legal limit[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

--Yeah, I'll take pics from the side of the flares, front and rear so you can all see the difference it makes.

--Ok, specs:
--Front 1979 HP Dana 60 with 5.13 gears and slotted rotors
--Rear 14 Bolt 10.5" 5.13 gears
--Soon to be shafts will be customs with 1410 CV's
--Front 8" BDS Springs with BDS Urethane Bushings
--Rear 5.5" Skyjacker Springs with 4" ORD Shackle Flip and Zero Rate Add-A-Leaf
--Earls Performance Products Stainless Brake Lines
--Tires are 39.5 E Load Rated TSL's mounted on Eagle 589 16.5x9.75" 8 Lug Rims
--Exhaust is stock manifolds and I built a crossover pipe from Hooker mandrel bends then the stock cats too a Flowmaster 50 Series Big Block Muffler with dual 3" inlets and single 3.5" Outlet. Then I used a Flowmaster Universal 3.5" Tail Pipe Kit and made a tail pipe that exits behind the pass. side rear tire.
--Engine is still stock

--Future Plans:
--Can-Back Soft Top
--Rear 4 link with 3" Sway-A-Way Coilovers with Polly Bushed Rod Ends
--Front Tube Winch Bumper with 12k pound MileMarker Hyd. Winch
--Rear Tube Bumper with better departure angle
--1.5" Rock Sliders
--Full UnderBody Skid Plate with Tube Tranny Crossmembers

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 11:27 PM

hmm, i would have an interesting time getting into that truck...ill have to get a running start
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:07 AM
tjayandlisa

whats the legal limit for cali?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 01:55 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Looks good Willis! Gonna be nice to get that thing back on the road...

The legal limit for Willis' truck is 31" to the lowest part of the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode